Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Starting work on a new casting platform for my boat that I bought from Nawanda

4K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  andyrm66 
#1 ·
Started Friday night, and am about 80% of the way done today. Just wanted something simple and most importantly removable from the bow area.

I put 2 support 2x4's on each bench seat to support the deck. I measured before drilling for the support vertical 2x4's and the thickness of the plywood so that it's pretty level with the 2 aluminum seats. I still need to carpet, but it's pretty much done.

Will post more pics after the carpet is installed.

Those slots are for removing it for cleaning and hand launch lakes.

Rob

See less See more
#7 ·
that is far from a deep V that is a 14foot fishing boat. first you cant hand launch a deep V it would take 10 strong men to do that, also a deep V dosn't have bench seats. my 19 foot deep V has throwen my off the seat in big waves and mine weighs in at a bit over 3000 lbs. so be very careful in that top heavy boat. watch out for skiers and boarders

#9 ·
Nowhere near top heavy. I have 3 batteries in it at pretty much all times, and I didn't make the platform any higher than the existing bench seats. I've stood on the bench seats while casting for hours upon hours and I'm fine with the stability of it.

I don't fish many lakes with waterfleas or the like reside.

Not sure the proper definition of a true Deep V, but the depth at transom is over 20", so whatever.

#10 ·
Some more pics in case anybody in the future wants to copy this simple design.

the base, added a couple of blocks so I could test to see if level (the level didn't fit otherwise)

Hypothetical layout (I added one more stud up the middle which you'll see in future pics to help support me)

Final design.

chitty pic but you can see how it sits on the support stud a little better.

Alternating angles of the final product (pre carpet)

Rob

#11 ·
I undertook a similar project 20+ years ago on a 16' deep-V aluminjum boat, using a lot less wood than you are putting in and I was shocked at how much it altered the hydrodynamics (is that a word?) of the boat. With the additional weight forward, the bow wanted to plow into the waves rather than cut through them and it didn't "track" nearly as well as it did in its original state.

Before you bolt/screw everything in permanently and add your carpet, you might want to take it for a ride and make certain the result is what you're looking for. Just a thought. You may have already done that....

P.S. I did not raise the center of gravity on mine with my modifications, or, at least not by much, but I understand what Byron is saying on that issue. Another reason for a test float, and sitting in the chair.

#12 ·
#19 ·
Nice work! Thats going to be winter time project. I'd pee at other boats going by and call it my soap box.

I picked up a real gem Sunday.

Not as wide as I like but it will do, stable enough with 2 people. 1950 something, Lone Star.

Motor on it is an Elgin POS that you cant get parts for. Picked up a Min Kota and battery for $120 on the way home.

#23 ·
Final product. I still need something to secure it while in transit (bungee or ratchet tie downs) and a new pedestal and or seat, but it's good to go. Thinking I'll just stand on it for a bit and see what abuse I can put my back through.

I will carpet the bench's later.

In total it took maybe 5 - 6 hours, thats with alot of slowing down to have a beer, wipe the sweat from the brow and flirt with the woman, so honestly after planning you can do it in about 3 hours I'd bet.

Rob

#25 ·
That looks alot like a boat I picked up this year. Mine had bunch of leaks that needed repair, and 5 coats of paint that needed to be stripped. After I stripped the paint, and patched the rivets I repainted it an aluminum color, and sprayed the floor with some bedliner paint. My next project is to build a platform to flyfish off it. I'm going to cover the front two thwarts with a removeable platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.