Line winding twists onto Spinning Reel - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Line winding twists onto Spinning Reel

Every time I put new line on my spinning reels I go through the same dilema. what direction should it come off the spool so it doesn't twist. Everything I read says "same direction as your reel spins", but the direction is different depending upon your view of the reel. So, maybe someone can give me some difinitive advice on this.

Here is an example of my reel and the spool. Looking down onto the reel from the tip of the rod, when I crank, the lever spooling the line spins CLOCKWISE, spooling the line clockwise. If the spool, label side up, unwinds its line clockwise, is it going the correct direction, or do I need to flip it over to prevent line twists.

I don't know why I have such a problem with this, but for some reason I just can't figure it out on my own. Thanks for your help on this.
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Line winding twists onto Spinning Reel

I use braid with a fluro leader but one trick is to make 15-20 revoltions of the reel then check to see it the line is twisting or springing off the spool. If it is, then flip the spool over. Always worked for me when I had mono on my reels.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Imagine the face of your spinning reel right up against one of the flat sides of your pool. When you turn the reel handle the line pickup rotates in a particular direction. You want the spool oriented so that the reel's line pickup rotates in the direction that it just lifts the line off the plastic spool and deposits it in the same orientation on your reel spool.

If your line pickup rotates counter clockwise (looking at it from the rear of the reel), then you want the spool of line oriented so that line comes off from the left to the right over the top side of the spool when it's lying flat on the floor (or table or whatever).

Not very articulate, but the best I can do.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to earplug Send a message via Yahoo to earplug

When I reline a reel. I toss the spool in a plastic bucket and let it roll around as I crank the line on.
I stop cranking often and check for line twist. Just flip the spool over if your getting any.
Worst line twist I have ever gotten was when I had a proshop do the job.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Almost all currently sold spinning reels wind the line the same way, and almost all brands of line are wound the same direction on the spool. If you lay the supply spool flat on a table top with the label facing up, and let the line spiral off the top of it as you fill the reel, you should be O.K. After the first 15 or 20 cranks of the reel, lower the rod down to the spool and let the line go slack, just as a test. If the line only forms a couple of loops or twists, you are fine. If the line really twists up a lot, then it's backwards and you have to turn the supply spool over onto its face and then finish filling the reel. None of my spinning reels have ever required that step, so you probably won't need it either.

Even if you load the reel properly, you are still going to get a small amount of twist in the line, because the diameter of the supply spool is larger than the diameter of the reel spool. Ideally to eliminate twist the two spools should be of the same diameter, so that when the bail goes around the reel once, the line makes exactly one trip around the supply spool. Why the manufacturers haven't figured this out I don't know.

I find it helps after putting on a new spool full of line, to go out and tie the line to my back fence and walk away from it, playing out line as far as I can conveniently go. Then walk back to the fence while winding up the line again, keeping enough tension on the line to bend the rod tip. This seems to help any remaining twist redistribute itself evenly over the length of the line.

One more thing -- when they say to only load line onto the reel to within 1/8 inch of the edge of the spool, they really mean it. 3/16 down from the edge is even better. Too much line will have you throwing big coils of line and bird's nests off the reel on about every 5th cast. We used to call that "knitting a sweater".

W. E.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. I think I'm always in a hurry trying to put on new line the night before heading out and run into the problem. Hopefully with all of this advice I should have it down pat the next time I try.
mtman12672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2006, 06:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Ideally to eliminate twist the two spools should be of the same diameter, so that when the bail goes around the reel once, the line makes exactly one trip around the supply spool. Why the manufacturers haven't figured this out I don't know
First WE and Terre...some great info...

WE...I am sure manufacturers of line do know this but if you arent cutting off backlashes periodically or tangles...you dont go through as much line as quick...and dont BUY new line as often...

One other thing that I have done to help with what Walking Eagle talks about on the two different spool sizes and the memory from the bigger spool to the smaller one...I try and do my line a couple of days ahead of time and drop the newly filled spool into a bowl of water over night...I then put it on the reel to dry out and form some of its own new memory by drying out and adhereing to it's new spool...I am sure it doesnt soak up much water but it does seem to help...
Old 03-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Aloha all, can anyone suggest a tackle dealer nearest to Greeley that machine winds line onto spinning reel spools? Out my way, any line you buy at the store they will machine wind for free.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Also, You can get line twist out by removing all weights, hooks, swivels etc, and letting the line out behind a trolling boat or into a river current. Slowly let out 100-200 feet of line making sure it doesn't get tangled somewhere. Let it sit in the current for a few minutes, then slowly reel it back in with a little tension from your fingers. Works wonders.
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2006, 07:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpa
Aloha all, can anyone suggest a tackle dealer nearest to Greeley that machine winds line onto spinning reel spools? Out my way, any line you buy at the store they will machine wind for free.
I don't know Greeley tackle shops very well, but I'm pretty sure that Sportsman's Warehouse on Hwy 34 just W. of I-25 does that sort of thing. You're talking about a 10 mile drive from Greeley, but on the other hand you do get to go check out Sportsman's Warehouse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in