How do you organize all those spools? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
laker taker

Default How do you organize all those spools?

I change the line on my reels at least every year, sometimes more. I always had the problem of the darn spools, half full, lying around without a good way to organize them. I also would keep some spools on the boat for emergency respools, with the same organization problem, not to mention the various test of leader spools floating around the boat.

I found the answer. I saw it in this years Berkley Fishing catalog.

The Line Station

This thing is great. It holds 6 regular size spools or 2 quarter pound spools. The front opens up to access 6 spots to pull line from. Each location has a spot to lable the line on that spool. I bought mine at Bass Pro in Denver. Its fairly small, so it will not clutter the boat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How do you organize all those spools?

It looks cool, but if someone loads a spinning reel by unrolling it off the supply spool as shown in the illustration, they are going to have a world record case of line twist. The spool will lay the line out straight, but the reel will turn the line over exactly once with each revolution of the reel.

This is not what line manufacturers want you to do, and it is not what reel manufacturers want you to do.

I would keep the spools of line in the case, but I would take the spool out of the case to fill my reel from it.

You could fill a baitcasting reel that way, though, and it should work perfectly.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Irishman

Not to mention in the illustration the line being loaded directly to the reel instead of going through an eyelit first, thats funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Really? Because I think I see the line going through the eyelet...

Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle
The spool will lay the line out straight, but the reel will turn the line over exactly once with each revolution of the reel.
WE,
I stick a pen through the new spool of line from out the package and then reel it onto my spinning reel's spool. Normally, I have somene hold that pen while keeping the tension just perfect while I reel the line in on the other end. I'm sure a lot of people do this... Are you saying I've been doing it wrong all this time? If so, please enlighten me on the correct way. I don't know if you remember seeing this, but at Lon Hagler that one day, I struggled with what I call 'new line consequence' for 1 out of about every 3 casts that morning. That usually occurs with most times I put on new line. It takes about a good morning of casting to 'break' it in (meaning: until it stops goin' out in a bird's nest).

Thanks,
1eyeReD
Old 03-02-2006, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
laker taker

W.E., you're right, I wouldn't load my spinning gear up that way either. It was just the picture on the box and it was a good view of what the thing looked like. I am constantly tying new leaders and this will work great for me. I've been waiting for something like this for a long time.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyeReD
Are you saying I've been doing it wrong all this time?
It sure sounds like it. The supply spool should not turn. You don't roll the line off the spool, you pull it off the broad side so it spirals around as it goes to the reel.

The theory behind it is this. The spinning reel puts a twist in the line as it reels in the line. There is no way to avoid this. Every time the bail goes around for a full revolution, it puts one full twist in the line.

By pulling the line off the end of the supply spool, instead of rolling the spool, you actually put a reverse twist in the line. One twist for every time the line cycles around the spool. Then the spinning reel puts its own twist in the line which cancels out the reverse twist formed by the supply spool. The end result is -- no twist. Or very little. The mismatch in size between the supply spool and the reel spool will still leave a little twist but you can live with it.

That's kind of a poor explanation, here's a link to the Stren web site where you can see what they say about it. Check out the section under "filling a spinning reel".

http://www.stren.com/riggingup.htm

None of this applies to baitcasting reels, they don't have the problem.

W. E.

P. S. I put one hand part way up the rod and pinch the line just a little as I'm winding it on, in order to put a little tension on it. It's a little awkward perhaps, but you don't want to wind the line up too loosely.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker taker
W.E., you're right, I wouldn't load my spinning gear up that way either. It was just the picture on the box and it was a good view of what the thing looked like. I am constantly tying new leaders and this will work great for me. I've been waiting for something like this for a long time.
I agree, it would be just the ticket for leader materials. Most of us have way more spools of fishing line than would fit in that case, but for leaders I can see where it would be really good.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

I agree with WE.

Observe the rod at arms length - crank the handle - most of the time the bail will move in a counter clockwise direction. Next set the spool down label facing up, watch the direction the line comes off the spool. Most of the time it will be clockwise.

Flip the spool over apply a little tension and load the line on to your reel.

In summary, in my experience - put the label on the ground, and load the line on to the spinning reel. Just my experience... the manufacturers all do it the same way, they spin the same directions.

T
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2006, 11:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Wow... There's a new wrinkle in my brain. Thanks, WE. And no, that was not a poor explanation at all. It was a great explanation, I almost could even visualize you doing a demonstration. Kinda funny though, I thought my question was poorly worded too when I read it over, but from your answer, it looks like you understood what I was trying to mumble out.
And to think all these years, I was so convinced that it was just the* 'new line consequence' phenomenon..... OOoooohhh, that was just too cool, what I learned. I'll sleep better tonight thanks to WE.

Thanks for the additional tip also, TALO362. I'll try it with the label facing down. That additional tip will allow me to sleep so well that I'll snore.

Thank you both!!
1eyeReD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in