Sources for retro & wierd tackle - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Default Sources for retro & wierd tackle

Having a strange tackle collection, I'm finding myself desperate to find alternatives

Anyone have any sources in town (or within driving distance of Denver metro) for out of the way stuff. I used to go to Milty's so I could get the stuff you can't find regulary at other places (minnow hooks that are threaded through the body of the minnow with an eye that clips on the shank, old rod building supplies, lure making supplies including Hilts molds, ring hooks for fishing with live minnows, out of the ordinary fly tying supplies, etc.). I mean, I can't even find a leader wallet or snagging hooks anywhere in town.

I bought a lot of rod blanks from him when he bought the batch a couple years back and I still have the need for cork tape, hypelon handles, an assortment of guides, winding checks, etc.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mustang

Default Re: Sources for retro & wierd tackle

You would be surprised what you can find at the good old Wal-Mart as far as hooks and stuff

ive seen big boxes of snagging hooks at sportsmans fairly recently, call around
Old 03-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Wal-Mart, Sportsman's, Bass Pro, and Cabela's don't stock the stuff I'm looking for in their stores (usually I have to mail order from the East and West coast and it's tough when you're shopping for tip tops or winding checks). I like fishing light in certain instances - Wal-Mart only carries 110 yard spools of 2lb test and doesn't carry any Maxima (Maxima makes a great 3 lb test line). You can't fill a reel with 110 yards of 2lb - I have two reels where that's all I load on them with a spare spool of 3lb. It's all I fish with at certain places (like the lakes around Georgetown).

Hooks are only a drop in the bucket...as an example, a minnow hook I am looking for is a double hook that has a removeable eye - you remove the eye of the hook, then thread the flat, pointed shank from the back of the minnow to the front through the body, then when the shank pierces through the minnow's mouth, you clip the eye through a hole in the shank. Terrific hook for just about any species in Colorado.

How about airplane jigs? Teardrops? Rod building supplies?

I know there are places around - on Evans and the Platte River there is an old shop that carries nothing but Fenwick Fiberglass Rod Blanks (sorry but sometimes an old fiberglass rod is much better than graphite).

I'm looking for places like that! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2006, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Thanks for your help Swimbait. Found out this afternoon that Valley Tackle (at least I think that is the name) bought out Milty's stuff. They're on Parker road a few blocks south from the Cherry Creek Reservoir entrance. Small store but packed with a lot of good stuff.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

bennets in berthod is good place I shop there as often as possable he has the old style bait and tackle shop that I prefer instead of bass pro or sportsmans but I like to see more people shop there so he stays in buisness. has always been able to get what I need thru him and his price is as good as anyone else on most items. He sold me an aqua view few yrs back for 275.00 when everyone else was 350.00 1000yrd of fireline for 100.00 cabelas was 92+shipping etc. Its a good place and I will be there alot this year. just bought the 160.00parks passes for laramier county. committed to going at least 10 time now or be wasted money.
liquorbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in