W. Metro bluegill or bass pond suggestions? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default W. Metro bluegill or bass pond suggestions?

I have a buddy, who doesn't fish, and his boys (8&10) spent a week at their grandparents in Kansas catching bluegill one after the other back in July. Since then, all they talk about is fishing. I took the boys up to Georgetown two weeks ago and they caught a couple stockers rainbows on powerbait. We also stopped on Clear Creek and I hooked a couple trout, while the boys pulled 'em in. Stockers were dinner, C&R everything else. Anyway... now all they talk about is fly fishing.

For this upcoming weekend, I'm being recruited to join (take) their family fishing, which I'm cool with, but just am thinking a pond or small lake with a decent population of bluegills or small lmb might be an ideal place to go fishing. I have the Fishing Close to Home book and have checked out a few places over the years, but mostly targeted carp. If anyone has any recommendations, I'd be rather thankful. PM if you don't feel like sharing with everyone. I'll keep my trap shut on any spots shared. I don't mind cleaner a stocker trout or two for dinner, but I have no interest in cleaning any gills or bass. I have a few lakes in mind (besides Georgetown) higher up, but would be open to any recommendations as well within an hour or so drive of Golden.

Thanks in advance!
DO80401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: W. Metro bluegill or bass pond suggestions?

Anybody?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
P I K E

There are a series of little lakes that run between Ward Rd. and Wadworth around 41st. They start with West Lake behind Camping World on Ward, then Tabor Lake and ends with Prospect Park and go along Clear Creek. Some are fly/lure only so check regs. Here is a small link about them and another with a map of the area.
https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...?topic=42763.0

http://findlakes.com/northeast_color...es_n39w105.htm

Good luck and tight lines!!!
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Pikester! I know about the ponds you described, but have never fished them. I'll let you know if we fish these and any success! Thanks again!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lol. I forgot about posting that. Prospect is tough man. Really tough. You can only fish the west lake at Ward Rd. Even if you see people fishing the East pond. They're poaching.
Ive had luck at Crown Hill on black spinner baits.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for your input!
Old 09-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
P I K E

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout4steak
Lol. I forgot about posting that. Prospect is tough man. Really tough. You can only fish the west lake at Ward Rd. Even if you see people fishing the East pond. They're poaching.
Ive had luck at Crown Hill on black spinner baits.
The ponds on Ward you are talking about are called Ward Rd Ponds, and yes you can only fish the west pond. These are different then the lakes I spoke of. I'm talking about the Prospect Valley lakes system. They run along Clear Creek starting at Ward Rd south side of I-70.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

They should fence off the east pond if they dont want people fishing there. I always see heads there when I drive by. Its stupid to say its illegal if nobody is enforcing the rules.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

How'd the guiding go fo ryou GtownD?
COLOH2OFWLR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

It was a success!

The thread was started to help complete my plan, which was to have a couple different fishing options for the day. I let my buddy and his boys pick what option they were most interested in - trout stream & mountain lake targeting trout or metro ponds targeting bluegill & bass. They picked the trout option.

We fished Boulder Creek and a small pond up near Nederland. The oldest boy (10) is really interested in fly fishing, while the youngest boy (7) is interested to fish, but is only good for a couple hours and then begins to loose interest. So having a mix of tactics (fly fishing and powerbait) along with a couple types of water to fish, proved valuable to keep them both interested. The boys were excited to find stonefly shucks along the BC... we even found an adult stonefly, but they did not want to touch it. A couple brown trout were caught on BC and then some rainbow stockers out of the pond. 10 mins down the road driving back, both boys were lights out sleeping. Good times were had by all!

Having no kids (besides the fishing dog) and being single myself, I'm amazed with the endless questions from a young mind... what fish fight the best? do all fish jump out of the water? Have i caught a brook trout before? Do I know what the CO state fish is? And on and on and on. I took a nap when I got home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in