Advice for the newbie bassmaster - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Advice for the newbie bassmaster

When I am trout fishing with the spinning gear I usuall use two rods. One with some sort of bait that I chase after when fish hit it. Another with some sort of cast and retrieve lure. My question is when bass fishing what do I put on the bait rod. Do bass like power bait? How about night crawlers, mealies, salmon eggs, or the like. I know minnows work but you can't keep them in the takle box in the back of the truck. Thanks
hatchmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2006, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Advice for the newbie bassmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchmaster
When I am trout fishing with the spinning gear I usuall use two rods. One with some sort of bait that I chase after when fish hit it. Another with some sort of cast and retrieve lure. My question is when bass fishing what do I put on the bait rod. Do bass like power bait? How about night crawlers, mealies, salmon eggs, or the like. I know minnows work but you can't keep them in the takle box in the back of the truck. Thanks
90% of bass fishermen don't even bother with bait, but if you just want to keep another rod out, you might try a night crawler fished under a bobber so it is just a foot or so off the bottom. Bass don't go for power bait, salmon eggs, and all that trout-type stuff. They like live, moving prey. Even with the night crawler, you're as likely to catch a big carp as a bass.

Depending on the water you're fishing, it might be a better idea to put the second rod out for another species of fish entirely. Maybe trout, or possibly catfish. The last time I tossed out a night crawler to see if a trout might pick it up, I pulled in a 7 lb. catfish. Or put 2-3 salmon eggs on a #8 hook about 6 ft. under a slip bobber and pick up a trout or two while you're bass casting.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

If your bait rod is suitable for lure fishing, I'd just put on it a different lure than what you have on your main rod. A bass fisherman can never have enough rods rigged up for the wide variety of situations you encounter every time your on the water. We need to have a worm rod, crankbait rod, jiggin' rod, jerkbait rod, topwater rod, spinnerbait rod, etc., etc., etc.

But if you really prefer to have a rod rigged up with bait, like Walking Eagle said, live bait is the way to go. Find out what the type of forage that is most prominent in the water you're fishing and go with that. At any given water, bass might be feeding on minnows, shad, bluegill, leaches, crawdads, even grasshoppers. When all else fails, usually minnows or crawlers rigged under slip bobbers will get you bites.
milehighbassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2006, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Id check this out!

Quote:
Spring Bass Fishing Seminar at the Aurora
Gander Mountain store on Sat 3/11/06 from 1pm-3pm

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

When fishing bait for bass, they will have a tendency to swallow the bait and you will end up with alot of deeply hooked fish and they will die. Its much better to learn how to fish with artificial baits-both hard baits and soft plastics. Most waters have a 15" minimum but if undersized fish your returning to the water are gonna die anyway, it kind of defeats the purpose. Just my 2 cents.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbydog
Its much better to learn how to fish with artificial baits-both hard baits and soft plastics.

Or use circle hooks!

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
fishinguitars

I usually rig one rod with a locating lure...spinnerbait or lipless crankbait. Then on my other rod I'll have it rigged with a jig and pig to try and pull the biggest fish out of a certain area. I always cover as much water as possible bass fishing so when I hook 3 "ok" sized bass in three casts thats when I toss out a jig and pig trying to lure out the bigger fish.

Obviously when seasons change so does my lure selection, but this is a good starting point.

When I was younger I landed a bunch of bass on nightcrawlers, but using a small bait hook and bass fishing is asking for trouble. If your going to use bait I would target another species like walkingeagle mentioned. A few nice channel cats and bass in one day will surely put a big smile on your face. At big thompson ponds I fish with circle hooks and chicken liver on my catfish rod, and a wide variety of bass tacke on my other rod. I've had some really interesting days with fishing like this. Some days I end up rigging two poles for cats, and other I'll only use my bass rod.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I also carry only one pole when targeting bass. I am so mobile around the lake that the bait pole would just slow me down and get in the way. I save the bait for the night, i.e. catfish. Although I have caught small bass on worms, shrimp, and craws when catfishing. I worry too much about deep hooking bass with bait. Nothing makes you feel worse than deep hookin a big bass.
atownbasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

As most others have said, most bass fisherman don't bother with live bait. One of the reasons I like bass is that they're like garbage disposals...if it looks like it's from mars and moves, the bass is going to eat it.

I'll usually fish one rod at a time but have 2 rigged and available to fish a given spot with entirely different options. Maybe a spinnerbait on one and a crankbait on the other or a plastic goodie on one and a jerkbait on the other.

I like to work a shallow/ deep or surface/ mid depth or mid/ bottom approach so I can figure out where the fish are at and what they're going for. once I hone in, I can catch a bunch from a specific area and move on.

Bass in certain bodies of water may like one lure or presentation for a period of time (hours/ days/ weeks) and then change. so if something was working for you one day, try it again the next day until the fish change their pattern.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
rob

You can always try some fresh cut bait as just about anything would hit that.
rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in