moving to denver - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default moving to denver

Hey Guys,

New to the forum, I'm moving to Denver and was hoping to get some advice on bass fishing. Any suggestions on places to go near the Denver Metro area and what works in this area? I'm coming from the east coast where I fish a lot of lilly pads and weeds with rubber worms and frogs. Not sure if that will hold up out here.

Thanks!
atelian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: moving to denver

The same techniques will apply. Welcome to 300 days of sunshine.

Fish are smart here, time on the water will = success. There are alot of bullfrogs here, but honestly I havent done as well here with frogs as other parts of the country. I would look into getting some crawdad imitations, some rattltraps, and some jerk baits. Plastic worms (senkos, trick worms, ribbontails) work pretty much anywhere. CO is a premier walleye, trout, and small mouth state. The main forage for most game fish around denver is shad, crawdads, and panfish. There are monsters everywhere, but like I said they are smart. Most park ponds will have bass, and north and south of denver there are fair sized lakes that offer good opportunities as well.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks that sounds good. Do most of the ponds/lakes around Denver have good shore access or would it better if I had a boat?
atelian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atelian
Hey Guys,

New to the forum, I'm moving to Denver and was hoping to get some advice on bass fishing.  Any suggestions on places to go near the Denver Metro area and what works in this area? I'm coming from the east coast where I fish a lot of lilly pads and weeds with rubber worms and frogs.  Not sure if that will hold up out here.

Thanks!
Get a fishing close to home book.  they sell them at most big box tackle stores like Gander mtn., sportsman's warehouse or sports authority.  Lots and lots of ponds to choose from locally, and from there if you put in the effort and time, you'll find honey holes quickly.  bass spots are fewer than the east coast here, and the really good ones are harder to find and when found are coveted amongst the bass fishermen.

one spot that the masses will suggest is Quincy reservoir. 

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here is the amazon link for the Fishing close to home book. It has good info in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Denver-Boulder.../dp/0930657519
triple threat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja III: the domination
Quote:
Originally Posted by atelian
Hey Guys,

New to the forum, I'm moving to Denver and was hoping to get some advice on bass fishing. Any suggestions on places to go near the Denver Metro area and what works in this area? I'm coming from the east coast where I fish a lot of lilly pads and weeds with rubber worms and frogs. Not sure if that will hold up out here.

Thanks!
Get a fishing close to home book. they sell them at most big box tackle stores like Gander mtn., sportsman's warehouse or sports authority. Lots and lots of ponds to choose from locally, and from there if you put in the effort and time, you'll find honey holes quickly. bass spots are fewer than the east coast here, and the really good ones are harder to find and when found are coveted amongst the bass fishermen.

one spot that the masses will suggest is Quincy reservoir.
I dont know if I'd recommend Quincy Res unless you have a boat, float tube, or pontoon. Quincy is also not the place i'd go if you want fast and furious action. Like I said before most little ponds will suffice for shore action. Shore access in most places is only a few machete swings away. If you dont have one they have machete's at walmart for like $5-10 I think. Also, unfortunatley be prepared to pay to fish (either gas money to go to free spot in the hills, or parks passes, entry fees, etc.....)
Old 10-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

to get the most out of your fishing time a boat is very helpfull, you can fish almost all our lakes with a float tube if you like or a small boat on all but our bigger lakes. the only problem is the weather, you have to keep a close eye out for wind, in a half hour our lakes can go from calm to white caps
Old 10-06-2011, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye seeker
to get the most out of your fishing time a boat is very helpfull, you can fish almost all our lakes with a float tube if you like or a small boat on all but our bigger lakes. the only problem is the weather, you have to keep a close eye out for wind, in a half hour our lakes can go from calm to white caps
I was out on chatty once a few months ago. Flat calm......... then bam, caps, swells, boat's filling with water. Trying to get back to the launch, trolling motor dies. Thank god I had a decent paddle. Had to paddle from catfish to kingfisher in my bass hunter against the wind.
Had sore shoulders and biceps for the next week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in