trout lures - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default trout lures

New to fishing with lures and would like to give it a try! Looking for peoples favorite trout lures and maybe some tips as well .Thanks alot!
fish or die is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2006, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: trout lures

Same response as I gave to Bollie, just use the search button on this site and search for "trout lures" or "lures" for example. You'll find lots of good ideas. Kind of a self service way to get some great Colorado based info.
bergwsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

I do best with small spinners such as 1/8 oz. Blue Fox spinners, on ultralight tackle. Small Rapalas that look like minnows do well in some waters. Beetle spins with a white curly tail grub substituted for the original split tail grub are killers. Small metallic color spoons up to 3/8 oz. are good.

I started using 4" jointed Shad Raps on trout last year, and those things just hammer the trout in water above about 50 degrees.

Some people swear by Kastmasters, but those have never worked very well for me, I must not be holding my mouth right.

All of the above work better when the water has warmed up just a little, the trout seem to be slower at hitting moving lures when it's cold like now.

On streams, those little "Trout Magnet" jigs drifted just above the bottom with the help of a slip bobber do pretty well; not quite as well in the lakes.

Advertisement

Old 03-11-2006, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
ronniefish30

Quote:
New to fishing with lures and would like to give it a try! Looking for peoples favorite trout lures and maybe some tips as well .Thanks alot!
3/8 oz silver and orange Kastmaster, lots of distance and lots of fish! If you have confidence in it, you'll catch em! May the FIsh Be WiTh You!!!!!!!!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like trout pattern Kastmaster med size if fact had a few trout chasin it today at chatfield had some lookers but no takers. Dam shad!!!!!!!!! anyway that lure has worked for me at Quincy 90%, Chatfield about 50% if not a little less, 11Mile about 70%.
Big_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

My experience is similar to Walking Eagle with trout lures.

I like small spinners and daredevle/eppinger type spoons...not kastmasters so much.

I've hammered the trout all winter on sinking and floating rapalas and even small 'rat-l-trap' style lipless crankbaits. haven't tried the shad raps like W.E. did but I'm sure they're great...one of my faves for bass.

Keep in mind that a trout is a fish just like a bass is a fish. Things that work for bass (or walleye or anything for that matter) should work for trout provided that they are sized accordingly and presented in an appetizing manner to the fish.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2006, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just an opinionated comment on the Kastmasters: the Northland rattling buck-shot spoons have outfished them in every case where I have used both in the same day. Your mileage may vary.

And the other lures I mentioned above usually beat both of them.

Old 03-11-2006, 08:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Aside from what has been mentioned, I tend to do well with Panther Martins. Yellow and red standard as well as black and black and red.

One thing you might try before going out and spending a ton of money on spinners and such at the local tackle stores is to check eBay. I go straight to the "Wholesale" section and look at the big lots. I know there are a lot of spinners and plugs currently listed (been looking them over) and plastic jigs are very plentiful. Don't be afraid to try anything you find. Sometimes if you fish with out of the ordinary stuff, you'll end up pleasantly surprised. I also just bought 500 nightcrawlers that should last me through next December (should get here next week).

Another thing I do is keep my eyes open when I'm fishing. I've pulled a lot of lures out of brush and trees (as well as caught them) where all I've had to do is replace the hook and I've been really successful with them.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2006, 12:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

yellow/silver blade panther martins in the various sizes and small rapala minnows
thats what ill be dragin when the sun comes up

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

If I could only chose one lure to fish for trout in Colorado it would definately be Panther Martins. They are especially deadly on streams and rivers. Throw them upstream and retrieve downstream through pocket water. Generally the fish will smash them as soon as they hit the water.
OURAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in