SW VS. GM VS. BSP - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
gk

Default SW VS. GM VS. BSP

Just polling other's ideas. I like sporstmans warehouse for the selection, price and customer service. Gander Moountian for their hands off approach to looking at fishing reels, even though they have a decent customer service, but a low selection and higher prices. Bass Pro is a nice place to visit with all the mounts, they have good customer service but a slim selection on a few things, with mixed prices.
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2006, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: SW VS. GM VS. BSP

Hey I actually understood that cryptically encoded title. I must be getting smarter.

I kind of split my business between Cabela's, BPS and Sportsman's, but I don't actually go in person to Cabela's/BPS; I just read their catalogs and order on-line. Sportsman's I have to go to in person because their web site totally sucks swamp water.

When I compare prices, BPS usually has a slight edge on the others, but Cabela's often has just what I want when the others don't.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Gander has a low price guarantee. They will match the price and give you the difference up to $50. Let's just say that you find an item that Gander sells for $110 for $100 at Sportsman's Warehouse. Gander will match Sportsman's price of $100, PLUS give you the difference of $10. That means you get the item for $90. How can you go wrong?
don broeren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

A few weekends ago I went to all 3 and I have to say SW is going to be my pick. Ive said this time and time again; The service at GM is top notch. I still will goto GM to by line and to goto classes. I also enjoy talking to Don at GM(See above)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
laker taker

I like the selection at SW especially for trolling and trout. BPS has many items that SW & GM don't carry but a poor selection of some tackle. GM has a great selection of spinner rig builiding supplies that the other two don't and they have some great clearance sales, not to mention the price match deal. I think I joined the 10k club at Cabelas here lately also, I like Cabelas website alot and have a ton of Cabelas brand equipment.

I donate my paycheck regularly to all four, I don't have an over-all favorite really because each one has its own positives IMO. I like to have all my gear purchased prior to the fishing season so I can just go fishing when Spring comes around. *

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker taker
I think I joined the 10k club at Cabelas here lately also, I like Cabelas website alot and have a ton of Cabelas brand equipment.
LOL! Do you get the hardcover catalog yet? I cut back on spending there when they started sending it to me about 5 years ago. I think I've spent more there than anywhere else. I even have their credit card (and I love using it at BPS and SW).

I shop at all four but I tend to do a lot of shopping at the (few) independents around town. Prices are higher at times and prices are way lower at times. I fish with a lot of wierd stuff and you never know what you're going to find. I hate being at the mercy of a corporate buyer that buys for the latest trends and then having to be at the mercy of a department manager that tailors his department to the style of fishing s/he likes.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
laker taker

I've been getting the book for too long!
Quote:
corporate buyer that buys for the latest trends and then having to be at the mercy of a department manager that tailors his department to the style of fishing s/he likes.
Boy is that the truth.
I was looking at a fishing reel at one of the local stores and the salesman told me it was the best out there. I asked why and he said because "Bill" (Dance) was using it on his show that morning.

Hmmmm.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Isn't it great that we can even have this topic. Not that long ago that the choices would have been pretty much limited to K-mart, Wal-mart or Garts. Rather than rehash this topic every few weeks, enjoy the fact that we have the opportunity to locally shop all three. The only one I have a problem with is Cabela's. Apparently the Denver market wasn't important enough for them to build a store here (last I heard was maybe October of 2007). I haven't spent a dime with them in nearly
two years as I feel that the stores here appreciate my business more.
GMCO45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Cabela's hands down has the best return policy I think of all of them, especially on higher priced items. I returned a new rifle scope I bought in the summer and used in the fall I didn't like and they had no problems doing this on a $400 purchase. There have also been many other things I have returned after long periods they had no problems with returning. Customer Service/Satisfaction is #1 with them.

Sportsmans= 30 day return exchange and that is it period...
Not for me. Not sure on Gander sounded like 90 days there.
I have not purchased much from Bass Pro as I always deal with Cabela's for the above reason.

The Denver Store is slated to open in 2007 for the last post that had a problem with them. I don't think it is Cabela's fault, it is all the legal BS dealing with all the local governments getting everything ok'd to make everyone happy.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

I am sure that BPS, GM and SW had local governments, and legal BS to deal with. They just got
a head start on Cabela's.
GMCO45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in