Dealing w/ Anchor Rope? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dealing w/ Anchor Rope?

How does everyone handle their anchor rope? How do you keep it from getting knots and all tangled up?

Also, Where on the boat is the best place to tie your anchor rope so you dont keep doing circles?

ThX

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Dealing w/ Anchor Rope?

You need a compartment dedicated to the anchor. Ideally with rode tied off in the comparment. Just put the line in hand over hand the bitter end first and the anchor last, on top. If the compartment is too (edit) large the rode moves around to tangle. Do this it comes out perfect - no tangles. In my experience anchoring from the stern results in less boat swing, in wind or big water you need to anchor off the bow to prevent possible swamping.
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanx Ter!!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

I use the thin velcro strips that are designed to be used with power cords and such. Wrap the anchor rope around your hand and triceps until it is spent. Take two velcor strips and put one around the rope, 180 degrees (opposite end) put another velcro strip. Hard to explain but the velcro strips keep the rope from unwrapping and getting tangled. If needed, I can take a pic.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 06:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you have the room the anchor mate they sell at wallyworld work very well have 2 on my pontoon boat front and back and they are great. turn the little knob and anchor is away and then you just crank it in. anchor stays outside of the boat and line is rolled up on a spool. In my maxum v hull I toss them in where the skis go.
liquorbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

It's virtually impossible to keep from spinning with only 1 anchor. I use 2-1 front,1 back. Also I use a large plastic rubbermaid container to keep the rope and anchor in. Again,1 at the bow,1 at the stern. Rope never tangles,the rope is always tied to a cleat,all you gotta do is throw it out.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2006, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

if you dont have a dedicated compartment a five gallon bucket works great for modest amounts of rode, for the small waters around here, (it wont work for my 1000' of 3/4" nylon and 250' of 3/8 chain i use in the pacific) i like to drill a hole in the side of the bucket down about 3-5" and let about 5' of line with a loop hang out (tie this off in the boat) then just hand over hand put the rest of the line in and then the anchor on top. this way when you bring in the anchor you just put the line right back in the bucket and the wet line does not get every thing in the boat wet and it is easy to take out at the end of the day

2 anchors are always better than 1, even just as a back up or as mentioned above to keep from spinning

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in