Alaska fishing?'s - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2006, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Alaska fishing?'s

The end of may beginning of june I am going to alaska. The kenai river and couple others for king salmon. I don't know what kind of rod or reel I should take baitcasting or spinning what size,etc. I am going to take some of my trout fishing rods and lures and try to catch some other species of fish. I know there are rainbows and dolly varden. Also if anyone knows of any good lures that I should take. I'm probably going to go fishing for halibut to so if anyone knows of any good guides charters that would help to. Also any other info any help would be very much appreciated thank you.
T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2006, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
laker taker

Default Re: Alaska fishing?'s

For Kings you need a HEAVY rod with a good reel. I prefer casting equipment with 80# braid, as do most locals and other experienced King fishermen but spinning gear will work. I've seen and personally have had Kings snap 30# like nothing. The May/June run in the Kenai is the smaller run, smaller and fewer fish. When I say smaller I mean 50 and 60 pounders, July run are the 70 and 80 pounders. If you want to bring fly gear, go with no less than a 9 weight for Kings. Even a mediocre king will snap a 6 weight (Hmmm, I wonder how I know that!). As far as lures go, the most common rig for Kings are spin-n-glows on artificial bait waters. On bait waters, salmon roe. I build my own rigs, they cost about the same as the pre-built, but are much better. Look at the regs, study them and re-study them as all waters have different regs. You may get there for "opening day" on a particular water and G&F has closed it to fishing to allow more salmon up river and it's up to you to know that!

For Halibut, in my opinion, go with an outfit that fishes more shallow than deep. When jigging for Halibut in Cook inlet, a 4 oz. weight in 80' of water is much easier on you all day than a 4 lb. weight in 300' of water. You'll still catch big Halibut in 70' of water so don't let people tell you otherwise.
I like http://www.casadekings.com/. Phil and his brothers are the best, you'll have a blast.

Here's a couple of my King rigs. I like the Green colors first and orange second. Spinners are not neccessary but many people use them.

Trust me, a King will test you're equipment like nothing here in Coloado, not even a 40 lb Laker can do what a King can. Lamiglas rods are my favorite. Pair a Lamiglas with an Abu Garcia* 6500-c3 and 80# braid, that would be a good setup. God I love King fishing!!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

i am so jealous. alaska is my dream trip. good luck i hope you catch lots of big ones. make sure you bring back pictures.
afishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2006, 04:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I spent a year up there way back when. I lived on Kenai lake and worked for the forrest service. I fished a small stream, about the size of boulder creek. Its called Ptarmigan Creek. Its between Moose Pass and Seward, right down the road from Trail River. During the sockeye runs the dolly's pack up in there after the eggs like you can't believe.

I used a cheap fly rod about a 5 wt with a small spinning reel and 4 lb test. I bought orange and red beads the size of salmon eggs and threaded one through the line, then tied on about a size 10-12 hook. *The bead will slide right down on top of the hook. I placed a split shot about 12-18 inches above the egg/hook. The faster the water the closer the weight is to the hook. Just enough weight to bounce off the bottom every couple of feet or so. Cast upstream at about 10 o'clock, you should be hitting bottom by the time the line reaches 12 o'clock, if not add more weight.

I can still remember a particular sat. My wrist/forarm was so damn tired I had a hard time just holding the rod up. It was the single best day I had ever had and to this day, I still have not come close.

The dolly's ran between 14 - 20 inches. Most needed to hit weight watchers, pigz, all of them. I even had a few salmon pick it up, but I would just hold the line and snap it when I realized I had a salmon. *Trail river is near there, bigger and much deeper. Plus, Trail River runs brown while Ptarmigan Creek is gin clear most of the time. There are some beautiful lakes within easy hiking, Vaught Lake and Ptarmigan Lake, you can find them on a local map. Not sure how well they fish.
Good luck my friend.
sgfried is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2006, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Been a few years but visited the Talaview Lodge http://foreverresorts.com/foreverinf...ontentKey=9475 (check the bottom of the link for recommended fishing gear) A long time ago. One thing to remember is they're hitting out of aggression and not out of hunger - anything bright and flashy that will piss them off will work. I was fly fishing and was using hot pink bunny flies (not sure what they call them here in Colorado - strip of rabbit fur wrapped around a hook with a tail). Guides were recommending yellow but my hot pink worked much better. Purple with some sparkle mixed in worked really well as well as the lime green in Laker's picture.

I agree with Laker - had one strip the line and backing off of a 5 wt rod in seconds! Very sobering when you are looking at the knot holding the backing on your reel.

For spinning tackle, use a reel designed for salt water - generally the drag is set up a bit differently and can handle big runs. I have a Daiwa G7000 (I don't think they make them anymore - and the smaller size would be perfect) or anything similar. Look into the Penn line of baitcasting reels. Newell makes some kits to beef up the Penn reels (replacement drag, spool, and cross bars). The replacement drag is a big plus (a smooth drag means less broken off fish). The replacement spool is smoother for casting and the cross bars are for prevention of torque. As a tip - for any baitcasting real with metal gears, If you want to smooth out the reel even more, put some regular white toothpaste on the gears and wind while watching TV. Clean it out and lubricate lightly (the toothpaste is an abbrassive and will polish the gears). On bait casting reels get your line wound professionally (by someone that knows what he's doing for that type of fishing). If you get a fish that you have the drag torqued down on, and the line is wound loosely, the line will dig into your spool you'll be miserable. I managed a tackle store for a couple of years and this was a huge complaint among fisherman who went after the big boys!

As far as functionality - when you get back, the Penn reels I have I use in Colorado with Lead Core. The bigger spinning tackle I use for catfish (with a surf rod).

For the rainbows, dolly varden, grayling, and stuff, take some egg patterns and double egg patterns. They'll be underneath the kings lookin' for a meal.

If you aren't driving, spend the money to get an aluminum rod case and wrap it in brightly colored tape or find some bumper stickers to put on it - I have an aluminum Fin-Wall case that I bought in 1982 that got run over by a luggage cart - the rods were safe but the end cap popped off the case. It saved my trip. When I got back, I sent it to the company and they replaced the case no questions asked. The reason for the tape and stickers is so that a luggage loader doesn't set the rod case in a corner and accidentally forget to load it in the plane (multi-colored case against a white wall is harder to miss than an aluminum colored case against a white wall).

You got me all fired up!!! Have a terrific time and take lots of pictures - you'll be talking about that trip for years!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
laker taker

Quote:
Look into the Penn line of baitcasting reels
My favorite for King Salmon and other big game & hard fighting fish, not cheap though. Deffinately go with the Penn if money is no issue. I think the C3 is about the bottom end of reels I would go if money is an issue (casting gear).

Old 03-17-2006, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
laker taker

I forgot to mention, the Susitna drainage and the Mat-Su valley can have good Kings and alot less people than the mighty Kenai. Willow creek has one of the bigger strains of Chinook and so does the Deshka. You can drive to Willow Creek, Deshka is a boat trip in. If you don't mind combat fishing, which by the way you've gotta try, Ship Creek in downtown Anchorage has big Kings too.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Don In Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed
I was fly fishing and was using hot pink bunny flies (not sure what they call them here in Colorado - strip of rabbit fur wrapped around a hook with a tail).*
We call them hot pink bunny flies.

Seriously though - lots of good advice in your post, Mr. Ed.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've been up there three times in the past five years. Fished with a good outfitter out of Soldatna called Rod N' Reel Alaskan Charters, owned by two brothers, Rod and Randy Berg, who are really good guys. They have both halibut and salmon fishing out of the Kenai area and Seward. Here is their web site: www.rodnreal.com

On my own I fished the Kenai near Soldatna, the Kasilof, and Russian, and streams near Nilnilchik. I use an Abu-Garcia 6600 C5 Ambassadeur with a 6 1/2 foot Cabela Fish Eagle II. It handled salmon up to 40 pounds with no problems.

Spin Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hey! Thanks for the replys you guys.
T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in