canoe trolling mtr qt - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default canoe trolling mtr qt

Does anyone know some alternatives or back up batteries that are lighter then a 12V deep cycle that could push my canoe for a few hours? I've heard motorcyle batteries would work? Can I connect two motorcycle batteries in parrallel? Any help would appreciated.
fishonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2006, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: canoe trolling mtr qt

Are they 12V batteries?
bergwsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2006, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

the optima deep cycles work pretty good and are smaller than the average deep cycle battery

the motor cycle battery, as long as it was 12 volt, i think most are would work but not being deep cycle would not last as many years

some solar fence chargers use a 12 volt battery for cloudy days they would be samll and deep cycle you might check into that or just call trojan or interstate batteries

good luck, id like to here what you come up with

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

You would probably be better off to get the smallest deep cycle battery you can find.* As mentioned earlier, the motorcycle batteries would not hold up to draw down and then recharging for too many cycles.* Also, even with two motorcycle batteries, you probably would not get near the run time that you would get with a small deep.* I know that Trojan makes a small 150 (25 amps output
for 150 minutes).* Good rule of thumb on 12V motors is to figure about 1 amp of draw for every pound of thrust.* If you are running a 36lb motor at half speed, it should be drawing about 18 amps
from the battery.
GMCO45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2006, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thx Guys! It is a pain to carry the deep cycle (must way about 35lbs.) if i launch the canoe from a steep embankment (i.e. Rampart) or have to park far away from my drop in point.
fishonn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

I know what you mean. I use a regular deep cycle, marine battery and it is heavy...luckily I have a strong, young son-in-law who can tote it for me.
Spin Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonument
Does anyone know some alternatives or back up batteries that are lighter* then a 12V deep cycle that could push my canoe for a few hours?* I've heard motorcyle batteries would work?* *Can I connect two motorcycle batteries in parrallel?* Any help would appreciated.
I have an electric motor that is probably around 12 lbs. of thrust that I push my canoe with. I have some 15-19 Amp-hour SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries that weight around 12 lbs each. One of them can push my canoe around for 2-4 hours, depending on how I'm running. Two of them will last all day, but have slowed down noticably by the end of the day. With batteries, capacity is almost directly related to weight, so there's no way to get around the big heavy batteries unless you sacrifice capacity/charge. With a 30 lbs. thrust motor, you probably will drain batteries quite quickly, but you could help your batteries last longer with a separate motor speed controller that uses a Pulse Width Modulation circuit, which controls DC motor speeds more efficiently than the built-in resistance-based speed controls on trolling motors.
Cutthroat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

GMCO45, a question, if I have a 200 AMP battery and it draws 18AMPS should it last about 10 hours? I'm not very good at electricity.

Another question on batteries, I used my 4 (now 5) year old trolling battery (I don't think it really it has ever been used much) last fall and it ran fine for 7 hours. I keep it fully charged and unfrozen all winter, cells are full. Today I topped it off and used it for about 1 hour and it lost charge. Does that mean it needs to be replaced? Is it just the Aurora voodoo? Is there any chance it just needs to be cycled again to work?
bergwsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2006, 07:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

FishEyes,
The 150 rating on the Trojan deep cycle is not an amp hour rating. It is the number of
continuous minutes that the battery can provide for a 25 amp draw.
GMCO45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in