Quantum PTi Reels - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to craig n
Default Quantum PTi Reels

Ok Im looking to get 1 of these new quantum PTi reels(Rainbow colored ones) and it has like 3 or 4 sizes. There is the 10, 20, 30 and 40. Which is the biggest and which is the smallest? I would like to get the one in the middle(So either the 2 or 3) whichever is 2nd biggest. I have a Shakespear Catera, and dont know which size it is, but whichever it is is perfect. And my last question is if you have one, do you like it and is it worth the money. Its going to cost me a lot and I want to know if its worth it. I love the looks and it sounds like an awesome reel if you ask me. But what really sounds nice is the magnetic anti-reverse system. And please keep in mind, i will only use this reel for casting(Dont like baitcasting), i dont want it to get ruined like my last few reels. Thanks, Craig.
craig n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2006, 04:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
laker taker

Default Re: Quantum PTi Reels

I own 2 such spinning reels both in the 20 size. I think these are the best spinning reels on the market for the money. The reels were redesigned for 2006 and I have the previous models. I guarantee you will not be dissapointed with their performance. I had a salesman talk me into a Pflueger President model spinning reel and there is NO comparison. The Quantum PTI Energy is a top of the line reel for a reasonable price. It would be very difficult for me to EVER buy anything else ever again.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
RJ

The price has remained the same this year but they did away with the extra spool. I have two 10's, one 20 and one 30. I like them but being less than a year old I can't speak for thier longevity. They are smooth. The magnetic bail means no springs to break or stretch.
RJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Alright thanks guys. I think the $130 Im going to pay will be well worth it. What size should i get....20? Is the 10 too small for trout, walleye and northern fishing? I only do the walleye and northern once a year in Minnesota, but we do it for about a week strait.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

my buddy uses a 10 on his ice fishing pole, my girlfriend uses a 20 on her 7 ft st croix, she catches pike, trout,bass and walleye with it and has never had a problem. the 30 might be to big and heavy, i'd stick with the 20 for all around fishing.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would go with either the 20 or 30 size, it's sort of your personal preference. I use 30 sized Okuma Metaloid reels for most of my all around bass/ pike/ larger trout fishing and a 15 size for smaller trout and panfish. The smaller the number, the smaller the reel. You will find that 20 or 30 size is considered a 'mid sized' all around reel that will be comparable to a medium action, do it all rod.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
laker taker

I like the 20. The 10 is a little small for me and the 30 is a little too big for my taste. The 20 size can handle any size fish here in Colorado. I've caught 15 lb wiper, 45" northerns and really big macks on the 20 and the drag handled 'em with no fade. If spool capacity is your concern, the 30 will of course hold more line, but the 20 is in no way "less" of a reel on big fish.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

i agree my girl has caught plenty of arsenal pike with hers with no problems or signs or wear(on the drag).. definetely good reels, i might have to step up and get one this year also as my girlfriend always gets the good stuff first..
Old 03-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mustang

I have the 30, and it is the best reel I have ever owned. You will not find anything smoother. I have caught crappie and bluegill, bass and catfish, and it works for anything... I liked the 30 size, because once or twice a year I fish the surf down in Tejas, and it will stand up to those fish as well. Good luck, and I reccomend the 30.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

I still cant decide the 20 or 30. Will the 20 hold up to a 20 lb Northern. Because in MN you never know what you will hook into. At least in Colorado, chances are slim to none u catch a 20 lb fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in