Bass Boat Owners : Opinion needed - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bass Boat Owners : Opinion needed

Upgrading to a tournament bass boat this spring if not sooner.
I've narrowed my search to used Nitro's and Ranger's. I like the setup and they hold there value.
I've found one out of Texas. What are your thoughts? Watch outs? Any more info that can help me make a more informed purchase would be helpful.

Thanks Fellas.

http://www.texasmarine.com/searcheng...r=DESC&page=1&
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Bass Boat Owners : Opinion needed

Looks like a nice boat! Clean and well maintained. Research the motor, it looks newer than the Johnsons that were having all the issues with heads, but it may be one of them. Also, I can't tell from the pics but if it is not fuel injected, it may need some tweeking before it will run well at this altitude.

I am bias, but I would pick a Ranger everyday over the Nitro.
fishlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Check bassboat central. Solid site.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Buy a Legend!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishLip
Looks like a nice boat! Clean and well maintained. Research the motor, it looks newer than the Johnsons that were having all the issues with heads, but it may be one of them. Also, I can't tell from the pics but if it is not fuel injected, it may need some tweeking before it will run well at this altitude.

I am bias, but I would pick a Ranger everyday over the Nitro.
What year is the Johnson with the problems?
Old 01-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would deffintely do a pretty thorough go over of the hull. Lots of stumps and nasties in TX.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
OG LOKE

I don't own a boat at the moment...but i can tell you of a GREAT way to get "hands on" opinions on bass boats and their motor configs. Join a bass club and fish non-boater for a season. You'll get paired up with owners of many makes and models. You'll also hear what they all have say both good and bad. Plus you get to see how they each have a unique ride out in the wet stuff. I joined Denver Bassmaster's back in 2001 and i cannot count how many boats I've been on. I know your eager to get a boat soon, but i just thought i would throw that out there for ya! Let me if you want any more info!

-edit-

Is this going to be your first bassboat? Recreational fishing or Competitve use?
Personally my favorite boats are Skeeters match with a Yamaha. Ton's of features that others boats lack, speed and great looks.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ranger would be a dream over a Nitro...nitro is more like a bayliner...cheaper but lacking quality and longevity.

We have an older champion 184...lots of deck space (made a deck extension) and rides rough water better than any boat I've ever been on.

I also agree about texas boats...check her good. Also remember...they have huge lakes that require long runs... which racks up the hours in a hurry. A newer motor from Tx may have far more hours than a much older motor from Colorado or Nebraska.
mogul buster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Kinda on two ends of the spectrums there with the boats. Nitro's are nice but dont hold their value nearly as well as the Rangers.
Bass boat central is a great website. And everyone that owns a boat is going to have loyalty to that particular brand. I have ridden in quite a few boats and owned a few my self. I currently have a 97 Cobra 188D. Is a great boat, but def has a different feel than my buddies 08 Ranger Z21. But at the same time his boat is 2ft longer and has 50hp more too.
But there are soo many things to figure in, such as someone mentioning the EFI (huge thing to look for if you plan on fishing in and outside of CO because of jetting and elevation) and 2 stroke/4 stroke depending on the year. How much deck space is there, storage space, livewell space, single or dual consoles, hydraulic steering, hotfoot, electronics that are currently on the boat (upgrading to good ones is very expensive), trolling motor size..... The better equiped it is from the get go, the less you will spend later. (ie, expect to replace electronics if the boat is factory and hasnt been touched since 9. How much space do you have to store it is a huge thing to think about also.
Also remember boats down in TX are used year round and the midwest are more seasonal because of our weather. Motor hours is a huge consideration also. Tons of stuff to think about here... I would suggest doing what Kodiak said and join a club and kinda get a feel for your likes and dislikes. Some boats look the same but have COMPLETELY different rides/performance. Plus you will become familiar with the basics of the boat from observing someone who has been doing it a while. You will see some good ways/bad ways to do things.
Always book the boat, NADA is a good start. Also compare the model to similar ones in the area and abroad. A boat in TX might cost less than a boat in CO because there are less bass boats here than there are there.
Keep us updated on what you choose. And post some pics up once you do get it!
Now that I am done babbling, am sure I forgot a few things and someone will chyme in here to help out.

Even if you've been fishing for three hours and haven't gotten anything except poison ivy and sunburn, you're still better off than the worm.  ~Author Unknown
displacedfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tough call man. I have ridden in a Skeeter, Javelin, Champion, Nitro, Ranger and I liked em all. If it seems like a good boat and your happy with the price, buy it. If you dont like it sell it and try again. I want to get a new bass boat myself, however due to the economy I just cant justify a new boat right now. I got me a Skeeter zx300. She is the size of an aircraft carrier, but she handles the weather and there is more deck space than you know what to do with. If ya can I would try for the biggest boat I could get...19'-21' But not 22' lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in