Who uses Fish Finders when Lake fishing? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Who uses Fish Finders when Lake fishing?

I am thinking about buying one, as well as a trolling motor for my new Pontoon since I live at Delaney and Spinney and didn't know who uses Fishfinders on their boats and if they help at all?

CF

http://flyfishaddiction.blogspot.com
Troutdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Who uses Fish Finders when Lake fishing?

I used to use them extensively (back when I had a boat). Not to "find fish" per-say, but more to get an idea of bottom structure, water depth, temp, and bottom composition as well as weedline location. I feel naked (or more blind, actually) when i'm fishing from a boat without one.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

I use mine at least 99% of the time when I'm on the boat. I have to admit, I don't always use it to find fish - I use it mostly to find structure, especially at night. I can float my boat on 1.5 feet of water and when in shallow areas (like the sunken island at Cherry Creek or in the shallow area at Chatfield), I use it more as a navigation tool. It is also good for finding that drop off, that channel where fish like to hang out, etc. You can rely on it to find fish, but you have to keep in mind sometimes you'll get false readings. It can also be really frustrating to use when you see a ton of fish stacked up and you aren't catching anything!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I too use mine mostly to tell how much water im in and to find structure. If I mark a large school of fish or bait fish though I will fish it.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

I do, I do. Honestly, I'd be lost without mine. It would be like fishing blind. Got one on the console and one on the bow mounted trolling motor. Even if all you look at is how deep you are and basic bottom contour, it makes a hugh difference.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I use a Fishnbuddy III on my belly boat, especially at Delaney. *It is outstanding for locating structure for sinking lines and for finding fish at night. * Cabelas sells a harness made particularly for this finder and a float tube, as it hooks up right on the side.

They are so choice, if you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.
buglebass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
laker taker

I run two finders, one bow on my electric trolling motor and one stern. If you buy one, go with a quality unit with high resolution as the low resolution units in my opinion don't show enough detail. I use mine to find structure and fish. Some people say you should use your electronics to fish structure, not fish but I don't subscribe to that, I do both. Sonar helps improve your angling success for all species as your knowledge in reading your sonar improves. I have Humminbird and like them, although I would only go with their higher end units as they're lower end stuff is not as good as say Lowrance, IMO. Lowrance is an excellent all around choice and will be on my next boat, not because I'm unhappy with Humminbird, but because of the new LowranceNet system which I think is awesome.
http://www.lowrance.com/LowranceNet/...Advantages.asp
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

i had a fishing buddy sidefinder that i used on my pontoon and had noting but problems, only seemed to work for reading depth, never helped me catch any fish, i think it used to get a lot of false signals. on a big boat i don't see how you could fish without a fish finder though..
Old 03-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

When you start using one, you will realize that there are huge areas of lakes that have few or no fish in them. No sense fishing where they aren't. I realize that fish go into and out of areas, but it's still nice to know wether they're in the area or not. I agree that the most important use is to pinpoint structure, but trout & kokanee, for instance, along w/wipers are less prone to hang on structure and more into cruising-just like a bunch of teenagers on Saturday night. Once you start using a sonar, you'll wonder why you waited so long to get one!
daveycrocket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 04:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buglebass
They are so choice, if you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.
HA HA!! And you thought no one would get the Ferris Bueller Quote....I'd rather have the Ferrari.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in