Red Lines??? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TopSlugger4
Default Red Lines???

I'm working at a bass pro shop in TN, and the new craze is red line for conventional spin gear. Research or something has shown that fish cannot see a red line at all. I'm like WTF!! Then why all these years have I been putting red gilling under all my flies? I'm pretty damn sure fish can see red, but maybe its differant with a red mono or floro line. your thoughts....
TopSlugger4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Red Lines???

bobber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Berkley Trilene Big Game has come in a pink color for many years (at least 15 that I know of) for the same purpose. I have to admit though, it is more popular for salt water than for fresh.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

i heard that red is the first color to be able to disappear when it goes into the water? *never understood how that worked with red color on lures if this is true with the line color...
Old 03-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ive been using Cajun Red line for years. Cant tell you if its better than anything else out there but its all I use. It has great knot strengh. It does have alittle memory but oh well.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
NeWcS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

There is kind of a fallacy at work here. Just because the color becomes indistinguishable under water does not mean the line (or lure) becomes invisible.

It still has a certain degree of light reflectivity, and it will appear somewhere between very light and very dark, depending on the amount of its light absorption. Fish can distinguish very well between light and dark, no matter whether they can register the color or not. So a dark red color on a lure, for example, might appear black or dark gray to the fish, but it certainly would not become invisible to the fish.

The same holds for line. The fish might not know the line is red, but it will see the line at some level on the gray scale.

If you really don't want the fish to see the line, forget the colors and use fluorocarbon line. It has the same refractive index as water, and it truly does disappear under water.

If the line or lure is in the upper 4 ft. or so of the water column, then the light hasn't gone through enough water yet to filter out the red color, and it will truly appear red to any fish which is also in the upper 4 ft. So red colors on flies and topwater lures do make sense.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I read something like what WE said.

Our understanding why fish see colors like red long after it should be gone from the light spectrum is changing. Fish have different amounts of the different cones in there eyes than we do. Some of those cones are more sensitive to reds and yellos, others blues greens, light and dark. Some species have lots more red sensitive cones.

I think fish see reds well after they should be grey. Explain to me why a red and silver bait sometimes out fishes 10:1 a blue and silver bait in 150 feet of water? Put two red/sliver on a second rod and they both catch fish. While you drag that blue and silver bait around all day and not get a bite. Other times its only blue (or green or yellow or orange) they like, and the same bait in red will not get hit.

So, I don't want a line out there that fish can see, so I like florocarbon (pline CFX leader is best in my book).
tal0362 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TopSlugger4

If only I could be a fish for one day...I could return to the human race and make millions giving difinitve answers to our long going questions and wonders! :P
TopSlugger4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PescadoDiablo4
If only I could be a fish for one day...I could return to the human race and make millions giving difinitve answers to our long going questions and wonders! :P
With my luck if were fish for a day, I would end the day battered & deep fryed
Old 03-20-2006, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
laker taker

I haven't tried the "cajun" line yet so I can only express my theory. I plan to try it this year. I do think red hooks help and I use them extensively on cranks and what-not.

The rage right now is red hooks, trebbles, jigs, etc... to entice the predatory instict in fish towards blood, ie.. fish can see red.

"Cajun Red" fishing line is red because fish cannot see it below a certain depth due to the color spectrum and light transmisions in water.

?? ?? ?? ?? Hmmm, I'm confused.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in