Sportsman's Expo (ISE) - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sportsman's Expo (ISE)

We hit the ISE yesterday.

$15 a person is a little steep.. Luckily, Tom/grababrewski hooked me up w/ a 2 for 1 coupon (Thanks!) Free parking, and a shuttle bus to and from was nice to.

The booths were alright. I think it would be better if there were separate sections for gear, fishing and hunting..

Got to talk with Terry/. at the Dynamic booth. (nice seeing you) Over the past couple years, the Trout HD has become one of my favorite baits. Checked out the new swim baits and deep diving crank. Both Awesome! I need to get a swim bait (heavier) rod this year..
[img]

Watched the dock dogs. I actually love watching them. Have checked this out a few times on tv, and always liked it. Really cool to see live!
This one went 21 feet. Best distance we saw was 24 feet!

There were some booths geared towards kids. The State Park and DOW ones were nice. The kids got to identify pelts, make tracks, and fish with a magnet baited rod for cut-out fish. Isabella could name all the fish, and we practically had to drag Michael away . After completing the different stations and getting the stamps needed, they received badges and prizes.

They had some live birds of prey at one. Sweet to see up close!

[img]

Tight line Outdoors had a booth, and were offering $100 off a trip. I'd like to do the ice fishing class they offer.

Jarrett Edwards had his boat and truck set up. My daughter and I told him thanks for the seminar as we walked by, and he gave us each Operation Outdoors (http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fis...oors-1512.html) hats. Thanks!

The food . . .

10 bucks ($9.79) is a joke for a 4 inch hoagie w/ pulled pork. Woulda been better on a bun or kaiser roll. Meat was good, but bbq could've used more flavor.

We ate at the FFS (Fly Fishing Show) a couple of days before. Prices were reasonable, and food was better..

Some of the booths gave out samples. 5 hour energy drinks gave out bottles, Leave no Trace gave out cool hand warmers the kids can take on our next ice trip. There were wine slushies, jerky, etc..

Got some Fishful Thinker stickers from another booth. Later Chad gave the kids each another sticker, and a bag of Power bait plastic samples

I want to take Nebraska & Kansas trips with the JWurgaft, the Foguls, and maybe St. Vitus this year. Both states had a couple booths. I got Visitor Guide books, and fishing info from each.

So overall, the booths were nice.

I go for the seminars, and wasn't disapointed..

Actually, due to a lot of snow and drivers on the road. We did miss the Spin vs Fly one, and I was bummed about that. Also there were a lot of ones on other days that I would've liked to have seen.

We caught;

Nate Zelinsky's "Springtime Walleye"
Thought I got pictures, but can't find them?
Very good and informative on a species I don't fish for often. (Plan to more in 2012 though). Learned a lot Like different ways to rig soft swim baits to make them fall slower, but still have good action) and am anxious for spring. Figure using what I learned and fishing a few times for them with JWurgaft, and I'll be good to go.

Chad LaChance's "Super Spoons, All Types, All Species"

Chad and "The Bug Guy" feeding the fish

Always like Chad's seminars, but I thought I pretty much had spoons figured. I was wrong, and again learned a lot. Although, now I'm going to have to make some more room in my tackle pack for more/new spoons

Was planning on leaving after that, but stuck around for one more, and glad we did.

Jarrett Edward's

Learned some things that I didn't think about enough before (but need to more) like slack below the water, and hook sets. Great presentation, glad we hung out!

So the seminars alone would be well worth the admission in my opinion.

I wish I could've seen more.. Wonder if anyone YouTubed any of them?
Here's one I found..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCx4fyCfB7o

Anyway, it was a fun time, and I'll go again next year.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Sportsman's Expo (ISE)

thanks for sharing James. Glad the kids had a good time!
FISHJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks James. I've said it lot's of times, but I'll say it again...thanks for getting your kids outdoors, and sharing your adventures with all of us! CL
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

GREAT seeing you James, and the wife and kids. Your daughter was SO PROUD of her badges

Chad, thanks for everything!
flyfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

I also agree the food is over priced and SO-SO. As per usual, I did not get to see even 1/4 of the booths.
flyfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Damn nice post James!
Make it look like fun man.
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 06:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Dang James, you're good! You have made an ISE report that makes me feel like I must do ISE again at some point before I die. That takes talent! Thanks for sharing, looks like you guys had a good time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in