Super cold freezer - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Super cold freezer

Does anyone know where I could get a super cold freezer? I need to be able to freeze fish to -10F for 3 days. I know medical freezers can do it, but those things new are in the $800 and up range.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Super cold freezer

Check out SO-LOW Environmental Equipment Co. Phone (513)-772-9410.

We purchased a freezer from SO-LOW to freeze bearings. We have a very large freezer we bought from them. The one we bought goes to -80 and was fairly expensive, but like I said, it's very large. If I remember correctly, SO-LOW had some smaller and more reasonably priced units available. Also, their customer service has been outstanding in my experiences. Who knows, but it's worth a check.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
Does anyone know where I could get a super cold freezer? I need to be able to freeze fish to -10F for 3 days. I know medical freezers can do it, but those things new are in the $800 and up range.
Come on man ...You want to win those tounaments playing fair...
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldkut
Come on man ...You want to win those tounaments playing fair...
Why you gotta bust me out like that.....LOL

I want to be able to make cold smoked trout and gravlax, the freezer is to freeze the microorganisms to death and make the meat safe for said smoking or curing.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

-10 isn't that cold. Right now our Kenmore side by side is -10 on the freezer side set at 3, and our frigidaire commercial is at -5 set at 3.5 out of 7.

Sears has one for $550 that'll go down to -25

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

freezing doesn't kill organisms, it just slows them down until it warms up again.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky
-10 isn't that cold. Right now our Kenmore side by side is -10 on the freezer side set at 3, and our frigidaire commercial is at -5 set at 3.5 out of 7.

Sears has one for $550 that'll go down to -25

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

freezing doesn't kill organisms, it just slows them down until it warms up again.
That's not what I'm reading...which is why I'm trying to find a suitable freezer. I'll have to get a thermometer and see what my current chest freezer is at.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Freezing is used to kill parasites and it does prevent multiplication of bacteria (and may damage some bacterial cells which will slow their growth after you thaw it) but very few bacteria are killed by low temps - as cranky said, they just wait until it's warmer. An example is Salmonella which is commonly found in fish and although freezing the meat will make the organism less viable, it will not kill the organism.

I still think it's a good idea for what you plan to do (certainly better than not doing it) and obviously raw fish can be consumed safely without freezing it (ahhh fresh sashimi!) but in other cases....... How the fish was processed after being caught and during preparation as food is a big part of the equation and I am not familiar with making either item you mentioned so it may be common to only freeze the meat for those purposes and call it good, but keep in mind that you will not be able to kill all micoorganisms that way.
GrnMtn Eye Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

i have been making gravlox for about a year now and have never had any issues with using fresh fish, i've heard of freezing fish for 2 days when pickling but never put it together for the lox, dont know, maybe the salt cure has something to do with it..never read anything about pre freezing for lox...
fish4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

The freezing is just an extra safety precaution, and not a bad idea from a safety standpoint. It will also rupture the cell walls of the flesh of the fish and change the texture some. Purists wouldn't go for it.

Making Gravlax/lox is a method of preparing fish that has been around for a lot longer than the germ theory or what we now know about parasites.

You eats your lox, you take your chances!
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

I bust a decent trout or salmon this weekend and its game on!

and.....I just checked the outdoor thermometer we stuck in the freezer last night, the thermometer can go to -60, and it was sitting comfortably at -20.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in