down imaging needed? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default down imaging needed?

looking to get a finder this year for the kayak and trying to determine if I spend the extra money on a wider screen or small screen with down imaging?

Anyone with down imaging feel the need that it is a must have and couldn't fish without it now that you have it, or do you mostly use the typical sonar window?

the two non-down imaging units I'm leaning toward are HDS-5 and the 597ci HD combo. Both are the same price with discounts (499) the 597 looks to have a better display 640x640 and a little more power but doesn't have the option to add scan later.... decisions, decisions
milehighfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: down imaging needed?

You may want to consider spending more and getting a Humminbird model that has side imaging. I have one that does this and to me it's the best feature. With side imaging, you can "look" on each side up to 120 feet. Then, this is the cool part, if you see structure or something that looks good, you move your cursor over to that spot, hit the MARK button, and that location on the side is now marked in your GPS favorites.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think it would depend on what you are fishing for...suspended fish or bottom fish...
TheUkrainian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

thanks guys.
I mostly fish Chatfield and Aurora, for walleyes with smallies, perch and slimers mixed in.
milehighfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
You may want to consider spending more and getting a Humminbird model that has side imaging.
X2
Side imaging is by far the best electronic help a guy can get especially in shallow water (IMO, I have 2 HB SI units linked on my rig).
You can still mark a school of bait fish or gamefish with side imaging plus you still have 2d and DI for anything you might miss under the boat (most HB SI units have DI as well).
If side imaging is not in you budget I would buy the wider screen. I bought a DI unit and got rid of it immediately for another SI unit. DI is more effective when used in conjunction with SI IMO.

Crap I just noticed you said kayak (SI would be worthless to you). Go play with the DI demos at BPS and see if you like it. They do provide some useful info and they are neat, but you can manage with a 2d...just not as cool to look at. I will say DI has helped me learn to read a 2d sonar better though...but it has never helped me get the fish to open their mouths and bite any better

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in