Horsetooth? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Horsetooth?

See that some of you guys have had success lately with the eyes at horsetooth. Not asking for anyone to give up their spots, but would like to know what has been working. Shallows at night, trolling, livebait, etc? I may head up there sunday if this current weather pattern holds, there is supposed to be another front rolling through early next week, hoping not untill MOn. or tues. Two weeks in a row now the weather has spoiled my days off, hopefully not a third.

Thanks for any info
fishingchef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Horsetooth?

Every report I have heard about Horsetooth has mentioned suspending jerkbaits. Slip bobbers and minnows will probably work also?
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

To windy today, waiting to head on up to horstooth tomorrow. Going to hit Boulder, res. for the dusk bite today, close to home, easy to pack up if the wind is still a blowin. Waters temps have been in the mid forties for quite a while now, spawn should be wrapping up, making numbers of males easy to target, we shall see about the girls on the other hand....

From what I can tell from previous posts that horsetooth has pretty good water clarity, making it a definate lowlight bite, or I would assume. Just wondering if anybody has done well targeting schools of suspended fish during the day? I am targeting walleyes by the way.

Also are the lakers worth chasing, any size or numbers? I just moved from the midwest/ lived in both MN and Wisconson, and actually lived on lake Superior(seasonally) the last four years, spent plenty of time chasing lakers, but have been spoiled by the quality of that fishery. Wouldn't mind trolling for trout by day and walleye fishing at night.

One more question, pertainig to horsetooth asisde from clarity, what is the overall bottom makeup?

Thanks for the help, just trying to put together a game plan for the next couple of days, first trip out to this body of water and haven't a whole lot of info aside from what I've read here and the little the lake map offers. I'll post back on how things go.
fishingchef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

To asnwer one of your questions, the bottom makeup of horsetooth is a combo of bedrock, rocks, boulders and some sand. Check out the reservior in the winter when the water level is down (usually around 50-60 feet or so) and you can get a great idea of bottom structure to compliment your lake maps.

I haven't fished horsetooth since last summer. I don't fish for walleye or lakers so I can't help you there. I have caught some decent sized walleye while going after smallmouth but again, that was last summer.
farmer ted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Collie is right that Horsetooth used to have lakers. In the 70s, I saw some in the 6-8 pound range
come out of there. Used to have a mix of kokanee, browns, rainbows, lakers, smallmouth, perch
walleye and wiper.
GMCO45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2006, 07:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbait
the 'Tooth is gonna come on real strong for a few years here, best to
tap in if you have the means. west coves have a few decent largies,
(the product of bucket biology ala J*** C******) and the brown bass
are all 16"plus these days....need i say more?
Yes, you can say more.* As in the bucket biologist that you apparently know, is a
real jerk.* If this is true, I hope the person that did this pays.
GMCO45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in