Golden Gate State Park? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Golden Gate State Park?

I'm going to be spending the weekend at Golden Gate State Park (my wife and I have rented a Yurt). Does anyone have any suggestions on where and how to fish there? Given the weather and time of year all I can think of is find someone on the ice and beat them up for their auger (or wait for them to leave and use the holes they left behind).

I just don't know how much there is frozen, or if some of the streams might be somewhat ice free...
DavidK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Golden Gate State Park?

The Golden Gate Park I know is in San Francisco, and it has never been known to have ice!

Old 03-22-2006, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
windknot

I do a lot of mountain biking up in the park during the summer. There is a small pond just west of the visitor center and another larger one just a mile or so west of there. I have seen icefisherman on the larger lake. The streams are very small so don't think they would be worth fishing. I would think the ponds are still frozen but haven't been up there for a month or so. It's a beautiful park and usually not too crowded. Enjoy yourself.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

The pond next to the visitor was off limits to fishing last time I was there. The bigger "lake" is open to fishing and there is another pond on the opposite side of the road from it. The folks at the visitor center are very friendly and will help you out. Not sure about the ice this time of year - they can probably give you advice.

As far as fishing, Terry Wickstrom has a show that was filmed at the "lake". He was catching rainbows 8-12" using white jigs and waxworms.

Have Fun!
Old 03-22-2006, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Golden Gate Canyon? Walking Eagle now you have me confused! If it's the state park near Golden, It probably will still have ice (but will it be safe?) I would call, they should have someone there. *
Sounds like a good weekend!
Old 03-22-2006, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james
Golden Gate Canyon? Walking Eagle now you have me confused!
No, really, there is a Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, maybe named after the Golden Gate Bridge, I don't know. Used to be a nice place, now it's full of homeless, permanently camped there. Nobody bothers them.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hunterfishercamper Send a message via MSN to hunterfishercamper

when i would ice fsih kriley pond i always used a fly (anything brown works) with a small piece of worm. i caught a few dozen fish off this technique. if you go to kriley fish 10 feet off teh dam and about 15 feet away from the cement pipe thing (15 ft towards teh parking lot). at the other little pond across teh road and down a bit fish in the middle of the pond inbetween the picnic table and the tree with teh wall underneath (you'll understand when you see it). for open water i have no clue, maybe fly under a bubble?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Has anyone actually tried the small streams in the park? I'm a fan of small stream trout.
silicone boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mustang

well i dont know about the ice conditions... i would think they would be alright, however dont expect a good answer if you call... i called during february, and he said.. "there is about 16 inches, but the ice is never safe." i was like what?

he said, well ice isnt safe, i wouldnt fish it

so basically just ask how thick, hehehe

lots of stockers and some suckers (im pretty sure)
Old 03-23-2006, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

I made a day trip of following Ralston Creek from near my home in Arvada to Golden Gate Canyon Park last weekend. Starting below Arvada Reservoir the only signs of life are birds and lots of muskrats. Arvada Res. looked nice and ready for opening day next week. Most of the river above Arvada Res. is closed and or private. Just east of the Park along Drew Hill Rd. is a small stretch of public land that had some open water. I saw one brook trout. Most of the creek was frozen solid in the park, but it should be opening up soon.
O. clarki stomias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in