Braid or ? for light to medium spinning reels - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to goldentrout17
Default Braid or ? for light to medium spinning reels

Howdy line experts.....

I'm primarily a fly fisher, but have been getting into light spinning action around the metro and mountains for trout and bass more and more. Question is...........might it be time to dump the good old 6lb Trilene mono and go to a braid or something like Nanofil? I also use 6lb flouro on another spool and like it, but want to branch out. I like the idea of a very thin diameter braid or so called super line in a 6 or 8 pound test with minimal stretch. So many choices and reviews on Cabelas and BassPro are typical internet love it or hate it reviews. Can anyone drop some knowledge on me about this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to earplug Send a message via Yahoo to earplug
Default Re: Braid or ? for light to medium spinning reels

Two years ago I would have said go braid.
The last couple of times I went out at night and messed with wind knots and line wrapped around my rod tip or guides made me appreciate mono.
For me braid with a uni knot leader of mono or flouro is best most of the time.
Mono is really nice and forgiving and it might catch fish just as well as braid and your not messing around tying leaders.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

On my trout rod I use 4LB mono. I find that mono of small diameter is very manageable. The only reason I use braid is because of lack of line memory and fewer line twists. I have 15LB braid on my bass rod and I like it a lot. Ill usually pair it with a mono leader for subtlety's sake.

Thats what works for me. I would go ahead and recommend you experiment a little with braid on both rods and see what you like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

The later part of last year I tried two new lines.

P-line cxx flouroclear: Love it, I'm buying a 3000 yard spool of it.

Nanofil: The reason I bought the CXX was because the nanofil was too light and kept catchin jerks and cranks, but for curlytails and things without too many hooks, it's freakin amazing on casting ditsance and sensitivity. So I carry two spools now, one with nanofil and the other with the cxx.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

I tried 15lb Spiderwire invisibraid last year - the strength is awesome, however tying flouro leaders all the time becomes tiresome, and the knots are a bit annoying.

I liked the no stretch - but I'm probably going back to like 8lb flouro this year for my primary medium rod
Old 02-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I love Nanofil in 4 and 6 pound tests...casts a country mile and sensitive...in clear water I am not sold on it without a leader however...not willing to go fishless to find out...so a double uni attaching Berkley 100% floro in low vis green...

I still have extra spools of 4 and 6 pound Berkley Low Vis green mono and 100 % berkley low vis green floro...because sometimes you need mono with the added stretch...I would have no shot at a big wiper on light line with braid like Atowns clear waters can demand...
Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I fish braid all the time on my spinning reels-Suffix 832. Its the best braid I've ever used and I've tried most all of them. No air knots, no rod wraps, this stuff is awesome. With most applications I use a fluro leader. Its kind of a pain to add but gets you more bites IMO so worth it.

I also use some Fireline which isn't a true braid but fused. Has quite a bit of body so again no rod wraps or air knots.

Only time I don't tie on a leader is when I'm fishing deep jigs-I figure at 30 ft fish can't see the line anymore. Also sometimes skip the leader on fast moving lures like a spinnerbait.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just started using braid last year on one of my spinning reels. I love it and will be going to braid on the rest of them when it comes time to respool. I have been thinking of giving the nanofil a shot as well.

I suggest spooling a little mono on the reel before filling the rest with braid though. I use a surgeons knot to attach a flouro leader and have yet to have a knot fail.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I guess I would ask you a question.

Are there things about the line you have been using that you don't like? I used Trilene XL for years and never found it lacking.

When I started taking my fishing a little more seriously I found I valued abrasion resistance and tensile strength more than manageability. At that point I knew it was time to switch.

But if you are using light spinning tackle, manageability is likely something that you are not willing to give up.

Braid has one thing going for it that I will not deny; sensitivity. If you are fishing slack line techniques (jigs, plastics) it might be a godsend to you. It will magnify your sense of touch by an order of magnitude. It will also enhance hooksets, which is worth considering on light tackle. These things may not be important if you favor fast moving lures (spoons, spinners, cranks.)

I prefer nylon myself, but I am a funny duck. I really dislike fluorocarbon, and never use it. I would not use it if it was free. I do use braid for big jigs, punch baits, and frogs, but that is it. I really am very happy with my old fashioned nylon.

It is all up to you. if you are happy with your XL, I would stick with it.

SS
Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

there is no right answer to your question. there are times and methods that braid is the best you can use. there are also times it is no good at all. a good mono is an all around line, but not the best in a lot of methods. i use braid in 4-10 and 6-14 and 30lb, and mono in 10, 14, and 17 lb. i will be spooling 1 spool of 60lb braid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in