Need opinions about a boat - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need opinions about a boat

So I am in the market for a boat.. I have a budget of $5k(leaving me $500 for registration ect)

I will be finishing mostly with some pulling tubes and maybe wakeboards... prob be 80%fishing and 20%fun.

Only boat i have ever owned was a 12' Alum with a 3hp motor lol

I am up to any suggestions anyone has.. i honestly dont know a whole lot... I have been reading on the net about diff kinds of hulls and Outboard vs i/o ect but allot just seems to be a matter of personal pref.

However I think i am wanting to get an outboard due to what i have heard about not having to winterize them as early and ability to use them for a longer season(Whats your opinion about outboard vs I/O?)

When i go to look at a boat for purchase what kinds of things should i look for on/in the boat? (Typical boat wear vs abuse)

Here is a link to on one CL that I kinda have a liking for(guy seems to have 2 adds for the same boat):

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/2814063517.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/2844770140.html

Thanks in advance,
Ricky
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Need opinions about a boat

Hey Ricky, you are on the right track with your ideas on a boat. Outboards do allow you to extend your season and they have a better power to weight ratio. The boat you are looking at seems pretty good however, it states it has a 220 HP Force motor but I believe Force only went up to 125 HP, maybe 150 tops. Either way they aren't the most reliable as a whole and aren't worth a lot on the used market. That boat would be completely worth the price with a Merc or Johnrude or yamaha. When you look at a boat, get inside and really look at the floor for any signs of soft spots or rot. Also, if possible, take it out for a test run on the lake, just the way you would if you were buying a used car. My last bit of advice is to stay away from tri-hulled boats if you want to take people out for a day of tubing/skiing, their guts will be sore at the end of the day. Good luck with your search.
fishinlooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

This could be a good deal.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bod/2839458222.html
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

X2 this has a trolling motor and a fish finder and is much newer
Old 02-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinlooney
...Force motor ...
Stay away from those. Although made by Chrysler they were junk.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat
That is the exact same boat as mine. Looks like a good deal. If I were to sell my boat I would be asking around the same and I have a 90hp on mine. I have had this boat 6 years and it has been a great boat. Zero problems and has been in some really rough conditions weather wise.

As far as the one you posted up there it looks like a decent boat just alittle old and worn. I think for 5k you could get something alittle newer. If you did go with that boat I would definately try to talk him down. Keep in mind the main thing your really paying for is the motor. Make sure it is running good. Maybe have a mechanic check it out. Also check the rivets and seams. Get it out on the water if you can and make sure it does not take on any water. Of course electrical would be the next thing I would look at. I think it is a good idea your looking for a boat with a full windshield. When you get out on some of the high mountain lakes early or late in the year you will appreciate it. Also I beleive a deep v boat is a great choice for Colorado lakes as well. There is a reason when you go to Nebraska lakes all you see is deep v's. Much safer in rough weather. Good luck on your search.
CaptHook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

For water sports, I'd get at least 115 HP.

Check for soft spots on the floor. Also check the transom for rot. Rotted floor & stringers are time consuming and expensive to fix.

New upholstry is very expensive. If you are looking at a boat with weathered seats, get a quote on repair before you buy.

I/O's are a little more work to winterize, but to me that wouldn't be a deal breaker. I have a boat with a 350 MAG. All I have to do to drain the block is pull four plugs. Takes less than 5 minutes. In my experience, they are more reliable than the older 2 stroke outboards, and less expensive to run since you aren't having to spend $ on oil everytime you fill the tank.
If you go with an I/O, I'd stick with MerCruiser 1st, then Volvo. It's more difficult to find parts & service for an OMC.

I agree to stay away from the earlier year Force engines. Later, they were purchased by Mercury. I have a 50 HP Force by Mercury on my 1998 Smokercraft, and it has been very reliable.

In that price range, I'd consider the following:

http://denver.craigslist.org/bod/2798077940.html 1997 Bayliner
http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/2817373872.html 1989 Sea Ray
http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/boa/2846968584.html 1987 Charger

Kind of slim pickings right now.
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'd stick to outboard motors...I've always been skeptical about a giant hole in the transom. Pretty sure its much easier to "set up" a boat with an outboard...jackplate...engine height...trim...etc.
mogul buster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

All those boats listed are 80% play boat and 20% fishing boat.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYERFISH
All those boats listed are 80% play boat and 20% fishing boat.
x2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in