Minnkota Terrova with Ipilot versus Minnkota V2 with Ipilot??? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 04:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Minnkota Terrova with Ipilot versus Minnkota V2 with Ipilot???

After this last Saturday on Pueblo I am sold its all about boat control and this makes it light years easier and makes for more accuracy and fishing time. I know the foot pedal doesnt work with Ipilot on the V2 but it does on the Terrova. There is basically a $300 difference between the two models so it isnt just the foot pedal. The internal guts and specs arent really spelled out on the Minnkota website. Has anybody done research and talked to anyone and have any thoughts on what makes the Terrova that much more expensive than the V2? I know am going to pull the trigger on one of them this week so any input would be much appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Minnkota Terrova with Ipilot versus Minnkota V2 with Ipilot???

From what I recall the Terrova motor is a bit beefier, deployment and stowing is easier on the Terrova. You already mentioned it but the V2 foot pedal becomes useless with IPilot. If the IPilot remote ever went south on a fishing trip, you'd be hosed.

Cant do a comparison of the two as I went from MotorGuide to Minnkota.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by setthehook
From what I recall the Terrova motor is a bit beefier, deployment and stowing is easier on the Terrova. You already mentioned it but the V2 foot pedal becomes useless with IPilot. If the IPilot remote ever went south on a fishing trip, you'd be hosed.

Cant do a comparison of the two as I went from MotorGuide to Minnkota.
^^^This. That is about all I really know about the difference as well. The Terrova deploys much easier in my opinion - it's a noticeable difference. And Setthehook makes a great point about the value of having the foot pedal, too.

The i-Pilot is worth its weight in gold IMO.
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

I had a powerdrive before my Terrova. Mine was not the V2, so I can't be sure about this, but the main thing I hated about the powerdrive was the deployment and storage mechanism. The Terrova deploys and stores way easier. The other thing my old motor didn't have was autopilot on the footpedal (had to push a button by hand on the head). The terrova also has a battery test gauge on the motor showing how much battery you have left. The Terrova also is heavier duty. Those are the differences I found, for what it is worth, given mine was not the V2.

All that said, not having foot control would be a deal breaker for me because frankly, you need it. at times to avoid stopping fishing to move. What I really love about the iPilot is the ability to work a piece of structure...not just a part of it, using the memory and spot lock. When you use the memory to record a track (up to a mile) you can go around a sunken point all the while recording the track. Then, when you are done, you set it to go back on the same track to your starting point. If you have to use your hands to record the initial track it would be kind of a pain. You can also spot lock along the track to work individual spots.

I can't say enough about the motor, and if you can afford to drop the extra $300, do it for sure. It is a big investment that should last for a long time, and if you fish a lot, I think the extra $300 is a no brainer and worth every penny to be able to use the footpedal.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you buy the V2 you're probably going to always wonder if you should have bought the Terrova...probably not so much the other way around.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

another thing about the foot control is that your partner can move the boat if you are busy, landing a fish or retying ect. just dont leave it so someone can step on it in the dark, your motor will go crazy, so hide it from fuzzy
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
P I K E

It all depends on what your want and wishes are. I have the V2 and have not had a single problem not having the foot control, I actually prefer the remote over the foot control. I hook the remote on my belt loop and if I'm sitting I lay it in my lap, if standing it's like a TV remote that I know the buttons just by feel. I do carry all the old part so if the I-Pilot does stop working I can convert it back to the foot control without any problem but about a half hour lost fishing time.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TthePikester
It all depends on what your want and wishes are. I have the V2 and have not had a single problem not having the foot control, I actually prefer the remote over the foot control. I hook the remote on my belt loop and if I'm sitting I lay it in my lap, if standing it's like a TV remote that I know the buttons just by feel. I do carry all the old part so if the I-Pilot does stop working I can convert it back to the foot control without any problem but about a half hour lost fishing time.
good info
Old 02-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

The one I have for the moment is the V2 and I have to say the foot controls were not as bad as I thought they'd be. Tinkered around with the wireless off the water for the first time the other day in the garage, and it is on my to do list next time I'm out.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

A foot control as an option is important because it allows you to two fist beers, bongs, or rods.
EricCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in