Hook sharpening - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hook sharpening

Whats the best way to sharpen hooks on crank baits?

Now that I have everything back in the correct box I need to replace a few bent or broken hooks and sharpen many of them.

JT
campingkids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Hook sharpening

I don't really fish with crank baits, but I like to use a hook hone on all of my hooks. You can find these hook hones everywhere. They look a lot like a knife sharpening stone.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

In all honesty, buying new hooks is the best way.

If you are dead set on doing it though, get a diamond hone and a fingernail BUFFER, not a file, a buffer. The sort of thing people use to make their nails shiny looking.

Lay the hook flat against the file, and lightly make three passes along the top, right, and left side, all smooth and in the same direction. This will sharpen the hook.

The buffer is to polish the hook. Corrosion will attack microscopic burrs in the metal first, and the smoother the metal is, the longer it will stay sharp. RZ-50 is a corrosion inhibiter, and spraying it on the hook after will help it keep also.

Really though, the only hooks I sharpen are jig or spinnerbait hooks. You are so much better off to replace a crankbait hook. I wholeheartedly recommend Gamakatsu EWG trebles as the best for crankbait replacement.

SS
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't sharpen as I believe it can destroy the integrity of the hook. I just replace them. I replace all stock hooks on hardbaits as well before I put them in the box.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdraw
I don't sharpen as I believe it can destroy the integrity of the hook. I just replace them. I replace all stock hooks on hardbaits as well before I put them in the box.
I wish I didn't have to sharpen my hooks but I often find the store bought jig heads I use have dull hooks. They suck if you don't sharpen them! Maybe I need to start pouring my own heads so that I can select the hook. I have never poured heads - is this something that is fairly easy to get started in?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHORN
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdraw
I wish I didn't have to sharpen my hooks but I often find the store bought jig heads I use have dull hooks. They suck if you don't sharpen them! Maybe I need to start pouring my own heads so that I can select the hook. I have never poured heads - is this something that is fairly easy to get started in?
It is fairly easy, but I choose not to work with lead. It have a guy that pours for me. PM me if you want his contact info...
Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks for the info guys.

I think I may sharpen most instead of replacing them. I have about 100 or so that need a little TLC.
campingkids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

You guys just need to set the hook harder...
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hey Jim, I use a Diamond Sharpener by Eze-Lap, model S. It has a ball point pen cover and is long and slender with a groove in one side and it's flat on the other. It works for large Lake trout hooks all the way down to tiny ice jigs. If you get a chance talk to Gerber about it, I showed him how good it works. Try to sharpen the tip like a three sided pyramid so it sticks to your thumb nail, if it slides off your nail it will slide out of a fishes mouth.
fishinlooney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in