New Mexico Trip - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Mexico Trip

coleman came down with his 5th wheel camper and we hooked up my boat on behind, then george showed up and we were on our way to Ute res in N. E. New Mexico for 5 days of fishing in the warm sunshine. well it was a warm and sunny 84 deg when we got there. we got our 5 day licences, and that was the trigger for the wind and cold to visit. we got up sat. to sun and a light breeze, it was a bit cool and we headed out to find some walleyes. well that didn't happen. the breeze turned into a wind out of the south west, so we ducked into the ute arm that was somewhat protected, where we picked up some white bass for the rest of the day. then we went into the annex resturant for some great BBQ.

day two we woke up to cold and windy so it was back to the ute arm where we fought the wind, cold, bass boats, and a wake boat, but we did catch more whites. then we called it a day and went back to the annex, only to find we were too late as they close at 3pm on sunday. so it was off to the other resturant in town, we called that one the choke and puke, well almost.

monday was another day of cold but calm, you could see sunshine, 50 miles away. got on the water and coleman started off with a nice eye, we turned around to go back and catch some more and he hooked up again and landed a 12" shad then the wind started building but we did catch some whites. the cold and wind sent us in for lunch at the annex. then coleman and i went back out while george took a nap, we found a calm bay that we couldn't fish on the weekend as it was full of bass boats, but it was full of whites we caught a few then went in so we could clean our fish then head to the annex.

tuesday day four, more wind and cold but it came from the north. we had to work a little harder with no place to get out of the wind. but the whites were willing. boat controll was an issue with a few booger knots. you guessed it, we called it and back to the annex for hot food and coffee and their mex food is as good as their BBQ. by this time anything hot was welcome.

day five the wind was still out of the north but only about 20 mph when we launched. i caught a white about 200 yds from the dock and it seemed that every fish we caught increased the wind by 2 mph. 19 fish later we were going into the wind with the 115 and when it gusted we would back up. at this point we said this is enough lets go and get one last trip to the annex for our fill of BBQ for another year.

all in all we had a great time and were talking about where to go next year as we headed into the sunshine. we were thinking about SD next year, but the call of the BBQ will be strong by next year
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: New Mexico Trip

I would eat @ the Annex everyday if I could!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Great report! Love Ute. Hate the spring weather when it's windy, except from shore. At least the White's were co-operative. We use to catch some monster's fishing spinnerbaits int he tree's during tourney's.
How big were they?
Biggie Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Been down to Ute twice over the years. Must have been lucky because both times there was little or no wind. Great fishing for smallies and largemouth.

But I know that place can get WINDY. At least you got into the white bass and if its any consolation Pueblo is still a couple of weeks away from good fishing. See you out on the lake.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

we will be out there, this is the first time i have had to fight the wind. the week before was in the 80s and next week they are calling for the 80s again. coleman says all he has to do is hook a boat to his truck to change the weather to crap
Old 03-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Least you had fun man and caught some fish
Whats the water temp down that way?
Bummer on the wind. Hate me some wind
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the report, Byron. Sounds like an exciting adventure.
sswan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Found a site called predictwind.com. Very detailed and so far it seems to be fairly accurate.

I can deal with alot of stuff but wind is one thing that makes me throw in the towel.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

water temp was from 49 to 55
Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbydog
I can deal with alot of stuff but wind is one thing that makes me throw in the towel.
Ditto.
tailhook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in