blunn reservoir - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to smallz
Default blunn reservoir

I went to blunn reservoir today, which was opening day. And they let so many people in that the parking lot was full. so people were parking in the middle of the lot, which in turn made it so people with trailers could not get out. I heard several exchanges of words between fisherman. what is irritating to me is the volunteers running the place do not have enough common sense to shut the gate when the lot is full. I counted twenty three boats on the res at 930 am. The city of Arvada is real strict on the boating rules there, another couple events like today and they will shut it down, and we can thank the ignorant volunteers when it happens. Another concern is, they have all of these rules about the res, but they do not check bag limits, or licenses.. This would be my fourth season fishing blunn and I have been asked for my license one time, and never been asked to show the fish I have in possesion.they always ask how many but never ask to see them.
Basically what I am saying is get some people in there that care about the place lets not let it get shutdown because of ignorance.
smallz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: blunn reservoir

This probably isn't what you want to hear but I just can't handle crowds and the idiocity that comes with it like that anymore and would have just headed down the road to another lake.

But you're right, the "volunteers" should have had the common sense to keep the parking situation from becoming a zoo.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I want to ask a question about the rules there...

can you take a pontoon or belly boat there?

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Vitus

They don't allow any contact with the water so no personal pontoons or belly boats.

Opening day is always a mess, especially when the weather is like today.
Bionic Man is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Do they still have the stupid siren that goes off like 15 minutes before the park closes?...sounds like a prison siren in the movies when there is a jail break...like you are too stupid to tell time...at about 2 million decibles...makes Quincy Res look like charm school graduates...

And they are taking after Larimer county seperate fees for cars and boats...nothing again if you walk or bike in if you arent fishing...

http://arvada.org/parks-and-recreati...unn-reservoir/
Old 04-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Man
Quote:

They don't allow any contact with the water so no personal pontoons or belly boats.

Opening day is always a mess, especially when the weather is like today.
bummer. that dam would be tits to fish for smallmouths.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yep, they still have the siren.They sound it 1/2 hour and 15 min before close. I think some of the rangers join just so they can blow that horn! After all the  excitement over the stockers dies down it's a fun place to fish for SMB. Made the mistake of fishing it on opening day about 5 years ago. I would love to have a web cam on that boat ramp for the first week to watch all the bloopers and fights!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to smallz

sorry for my rant, but its an awesome fishery. I would hate to see it close for good. I now know to stay away from opening day...fish on peeps fish on.
smallz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

hey SmallZ. Without the help of VOLUNTEER rangers, Arvada res. would not be open.
Complain all you want, or maybe talk to city managers, but the fact is volunteer rangers are not code enforcers for bag limits. This is the DOW's responsibility.
Arvada res is now a State Certified ANS inspection station and the rangers are certified. Thus, it takes a little longer to get in or out, but they are following state protocol which makes it easier for you to boat at Arvada and now other lakes.
And the siren is used to get people off the lake that decides to push the limits or in fact stay late. The volunteers want to go home, and people decide to break rules and stay late.
upnorth is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth
hey SmallZ. Without the help of VOLUNTEER rangers, Arvada res. would not be open.
Complain all you want, or maybe talk to city managers, but the fact is volunteer rangers are not code enforcers for bag limits. This is the DOW's responsibility.
Arvada res is now a State Certified ANS inspection station and the rangers are certified. Thus, it takes a little longer to get in or out, but they are following state protocol which makes it easier for you to boat at Arvada and now other lakes.
And the siren is used to get people off the lake that decides to push the limits or in fact stay late. The volunteers want to go home, and people decide to break rules and stay late.
Very correct and very true.
Quote:
bummer. that dam would be tits to fish for smallmouths.
[/quote]
The smallmouths in there are huge.
lovetofish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in