Thanks for a great ice season. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thanks for a great ice season.

My ice fishing season is over. Looking back the weather on most days was nice, we caught lots of large fish. Our best numbers day was 10 fish over 30" our largest fish was 41.5 inches. We were given the opportunity to take out the Wounded Warriors on a couple occasions and will continue doing so through the summer and fall. The Westerner motel in Granby were kind enough to donate motel rooms Mavericks sports bar donated dinners and City Market made our soldiers lunches. They have generously offered to do the same for the summer season. 2 years ago we started a "kids day", this is designed to take very young kids fishing for a day. The day starts at 8 am and goes until the kids decide they are done. This year they all caught fish and rode the snow machines until about noon. We are allready looking forward to next March.

The ice on Granby is starting to pull away from the shorelines and bank fishing will get very good in the next few weeks. I will be posting pictures on Facebook/fishingwithbernie on a regular basis, so keep an eye out for those.

When walking the banks I like to have a small assortment of lures. 2 inch tube jigs with an 1/8 oz head, #11 floating Rapalas and a couple large swim baits. I am not picky at all where I fish, the fish are roaming the shorelines looking for food. I have noticed when I catch one fish there are generally more in the neighborhood so do fish that area thoughouly. I like to use one rod when I am walking the bank and Fenwick makes a 6'6' HMX that handles light tubes as well as 5 and 6 inch swim baits. It also has the power to set the hook into those boney lake trout mouth's. Team that rod with a Wright McGill "sabalos 25" reel and 10/4 fireline.

When the lake does open enough for boating I will be out there in my Crestliner 1850 Fishhawk with a 150 Mercury Verado. This year I am looking forward to seeing the bottom detail on the Lowrance HDS 10 with structure scan.
I am booking fast for the summer month's. If you want to fish with me this year please get booked now. www.fishingwithbernie.com

bernie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Thanks for a great ice season.

And you got your hookshots!
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
P I K E

Hoggie Brotha!!! CYA next month!!!
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

What action on the Fenwick rod are you using? The reels you mention get really good reviews I want one. Thanks.....
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

sounds like u had a great season bernie , sucks i dident make it up that way , good luck in the open water , pm me if u want to work something out for open water
kokaneeking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomb
What action on the Fenwick rod are you using? The reels you mention get really good reviews I want one. Thanks.....
HMXS 60 MF is the model #. Jax sporting goods might have them, the reels are awesome. The best drag on the market and they are designed for saltwater also.
bernie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Very gracious of you to offer up advice in such a manner. You are certainly dialed out there.

I caught my first lakers last year, and it was a whole pile of fun. I want to get on them a bit more this year. I went three time last year, I would like to put in a week or two for them this year.

Cheers man.

SS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in