pick up your crap, horrible things happen. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default pick up your crap, horrible things happen.

Went out this afternoon and arrived at a lake, upon stumbing to a good spot this lady is pointing in the water and on the phone, we think nothing of it and we look over and a duck seems to be hurt. We walk over thinking nothing is wrong. The lady says to us its hurt, were like uh ok.... the ducks finally get in close to where we can see... Its tangled up in fishing line!! Its head was all the way back like in a goose sleeping position and it had no way to get itself un tangled, the duck was completly out of energy trying to get itself free and could barely keep its head above water.....there were two mallards pecking at her to the point where one was holding on and drowning her. it was an awful sight to see! My buddy slipped off his shoes and went in hoping to try and save the duck, the mallards dragged her back out deep. We tried this numerous times before some other people had a big net... we finally got the duck in the net after being soaked, there was line wrapped around its bill that connected to its feet. the line got so tight that it had a cut up above the bill from what i assumed from trying to strugle free... it would of had no way to survive. we got all the line off of it and the duck could not even stand it was so tired, it just sat there. after about 15 minutes it finally came too and we let it go and it was doing okay.

For some reason this really struck home with me, it was hard to watch this duck clinging to life because of someones lazyness, I cant stand it when i see a rats nest of line laying on the bank next to a empty beer can and a shattered glass of powerbait. it irritates me to see how some people could care less and just leave it there with no thought of what could happen.... how hard is it to just pick up your chit after fishing.

Thankyou to the guys that let us use the net.
GrumpieGills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: pick up your crap, horrible things happen.

Thank you for taking the time, and careing enough to save it. Sad story, but good reminder to everyone to clean up there line. I hate seeing that stuff lying around..
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yep! It's bad enough to see a bunch of trash laying around. I hate that. But I REALLY hate seeing line. I've seen geese and seagulls flying around with sinkers hanging down too many times. And I also once came across a duck that was tangled up and couldn't get free from some brush. Pretty sad. I usually carry around a plastic bag so I have something to stuff line in because even if I don't lose any line of my own I almost always end up filling the bag with line from some dirtbag that left it.

And what's with leaving trash behind? Seems to me it's usually easier to carry out than in because it's lighter!!!!

Scum...

Good things come to those who wade...
onefishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Grumps, thanks for sharing this story. I save a critter about every other year from line. Robins, geese, ducks, a heron, turtles...

Then, there are the ones that you get to a little to late...

This REALLY pisses me of.

SS
Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Cheers to you...that was pretty nice of you and your friends to take your time away from fishing to free the duck...good to all of you.
TheUkrainian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Tis duck mating season, drake mallards are rapists when it comes to mating, I've seen them drown a female that wasn't all bound up with fishing line. Good on ya for getting her out of that mess.
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

This has been studied by environmental scientists. An area that is clean then it less likely to get littered up. But if an area is already littered then it's more likely people will leave their trash there.

I take a small trash bag with me and pick up stuff like old line powerbait jars and worm cups. Not a lot, but I like to leave a spot better than when I found it. Powerbait jars come in handy when you make egg sacs. Lots of times I'll find live worms -- they go in my garden.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Good stuff Grumpie! The fishing gods will reward your deed!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Good job - I agree about litter, it's a terrible thing. I did a few cleanups in Lakewood last year, most metro ponds are heavily abused...

Anywhere you go, there is line, powerbait jars and those stupid foam worm containers - pathetic.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

it was deff not something cool to see. ive seen a 50lb bag of dog food (empty) layin in the water at the bank before. No one likes to see an animal suffering one bit, sometimes its time for an animal die naturally, be wounded in a territorial fight or just nature caused , but as for one having to suffer because of a humans neglect is just cruel. We all get that one duck or goose that swims over our line and gets a little tangled, sometimes we cant prevent that. Ive seen some punk kids actually putting bread on theyre hook before and casting into where theyre buddies are feeding the waterfowl, totally uncool.
GrumpieGills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in