I have two weeks in April to catch a big Walleye and need your help. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2006, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I have two weeks in April to catch a big Walleye and need your help.

Alright,

I am taking off the first two weeks of April to do nothing but fish for Walleye. This year is really my first year targeting Walleye.

My goal is to catch a monter Walleye (Anything over 5lbs. )

I have a few questions for all you Walleye Experts:

1. Is there certain structure (drop offs, points, etc) or cover ( i.e rocks, gravel bottoms) that I should try to focus my fishing efforts?

2. How about lures? Should I go with big aggresive lures or lures with less action? What are some of your favorite lures for the April time frame.

3.* Should I be trolling? If so do I need to focus in deeper water?

4. Where do you think I have the best chance of cathing a big Walleye, Cherry Creek or Chatfield?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
michael in parker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
laker taker

Default Re: I have two weeks in April to catch a big Walleye and need your help.

Hmm, the million dollar question!

I think the biggest walleye are in Cherry Creek but people generally do better at Chatfield. As far as the rest of your questions,
Quote:
1. Is there certain structure (drop offs, points, etc) or cover ( i.e rocks, gravel bottoms) that I should try to focus my fishing efforts?

2. How about lures? Should I go with big aggresive lures or lures with less action? What are some of your favorite lures for the April time frame.

3.* Should I be trolling? If so do I need to focus in deeper water?
Answer is:
1. yes, all
2.Yes, I have about two of everything and use them all
3.Yes/Maybe, No/Maybe

I know it's a smart a$$ answer, sorry. I'll PM you an idea but bear in mind, we are all looking for that REALLY BIG wally!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: I have two weeks in April to catch a big Walleye and need your help.

Well, maybee trying to target "big Walleye" is pretty much hit and miss. I am not really familiar with Walleye feeding habits during april (or any month for that matter since I am relatively new to Walleye fishing). If I cannot target "big Walleye", then should I target certain areas for "numbers"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well I am not too familiar with Colorado walleye, but here is my opinion:

1: agree with laker taker...yes, all and add weedbed edges as well as sand flats/bars.

2. i always used a 3 foot homemade spinner (red/green beads with gold/silver blades) with a splitshot 6" or so above the leader (size depending on depth). Tip it with a nightcrawler (snip body off below heart and use bottom half...the head is great for bluegill fishing). Troll just fast enough to flicker the blades (about 60-75 feet behind boat. If you think the fish are aggressive, switch to jigging with minnow,crawler or leech. Speed up a little bit if bass or bluegil keep taking the worm.

3. Troll, drift or anchor. You will probably have to try them. I would troll or drift. Either way, you will probably have to slow down even if you don't think so.

4. Canada...lol, no j/k , I really don't know (not from here), I am looking to find out myself.

Sorrry for the long response. Good luck. April and May are the good months to catch big walleye. Note that when post spawn occurs, the bigger females will more than likely be found in deeper water.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

mind you im no expert but i did catch 1 walleye last year. if i wanted BIG i would try some good sized cranks and big grubs or maybe a bottom bouncer with some BIG shinner/shad or even some gills like 6" plus sized bait fish. if it can swallow a 6" gill it will put a bend in your rod and a smile on your face

Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat i
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

bobber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2006, 10:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear

the best place for big walleye is rifle gap, but there aren't many in there anymore, and with the regulation changed this year it won't be too many years until they are completely gone.

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2006, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Another spot is Lake MacConoughy. About 3 hours up I-76. Caught my biggest there (10lbs 6oz).

I have to warn you though you may be disappointed. Comparing the fight of big walleye vs. 18 inch walleye, the big walleye tend to fight more like wet socks.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2006, 07:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm no expert but my thoughts are as follows. The girls have just spawned and from conversations with biologists, they tend to take a few weeks to recover. During this time they eat a little but are not ultra aggressive. Depending on where you go and when the spawn ended, it might be a tougher bite than normal for the big girls. The males on the other hand are not set back by the spawn, in fact their activity just increases after the spawn..

I'd say deep drop offs relatively close to spawn sites and big slow moving cranks or big jigged minnows. Go big and slow as the girls are in recovery mode after the spawn. Come to think of it my wife was a bit slow after our three kids...hmmmmm.

Use your electronics and motor over the base of drop offs and deeper holes, channels looking for arches that are not moving (thick mid section arch with equal trailing off front and back). Look for these hugging the bottom. Ignore the arches that are either rising or diving when you pass over them as these probably are not the big females. Take note of the depth and set a big stick bait about 1 foot above then and retrace the route at 1 to 1.5 mph. If they dont take the stick bait and you still see them in that area, go back with a big jig and big minnow. Drop it on their nose.

Specific lakes? Stay local. The 3 hour drive to a distant lake is time better spent just motoring a lake looking for fish with the electronics and fishing. Colorado has plenty big walleye, they are just a bit tough to catch. Also keep in mind that only a portion of the arches you see will be eyes, if you have an Aqua Vue and the water is clear enough, ID the species before spending time dropping a line.

setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2006, 08:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

Walleye970,

I wish I could revise my time but with my job I usually have to plan several months out. For some reason, I thought April was the prime time. I guess I will just have to take my chances. Did you use a common lure for all your 10 lbers?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in