Warm Water ?s - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Warm Water ?s

I think I read somewhere on here that trout is no longer a top priority for a lot of fisherman. If Colorado is to succeed as a warm water fishing destination, what would you do to make warm water fishing take off to its height? Here are my two suggestions.
1. White bass stocking in the south platte after Chatfield
Wipers are already along the south platter corridor, white bass entering wouldnt be too bad or would it.

2. Organized free tree removal for fish structure
I see free firewood everyday on craiglist, how about we take some of those trees and toss them in.

A guy can dream, but reality set in and told him that dream is in KS and NE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Warm Water ?s

If trends continue, it will be moot. Trout need cold water.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinche Guero
If trends continue, it will be moot. Trout need cold water.
water doesn't get that cold here to begin with.

I'd love to see shad and stripers stocked in williams fork and granby. throw some ciscoes and smallmouth in there and you'd have a kickass fishery. grand county will be the new minnesota, except there won't be a crappy football team and a bunch of people talking like people from the movie fargo.

ill set it off. I'm going to go to that bait shop that coloradojaguar was talking about, and dumping a bunch of walleye fry in jefferson lake. badabing, instant high alpine walleye fishery.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Shad would never survive in Williams Fork and Granby...they sift food from the water...those two lakes are almost sterile...not to mention they would freeze to death...they couldnt even get shad going in Aurora...
Old 04-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
grand county will be the new minnesota, except there won't be a crappy football team and a bunch of people talking like people from the movie fargo.
That was pretty funny!!!

Good things come to those who wade...
onefishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Even though more and more are beginning to prefer to catch species other than the magnificent rainbow trout, slimers are still the most popular sportfish by Colorado fisherman 3:1. I read that somewhere last year, I think in the Denver post or Gazette Telegraph...

I'm fine with them stocking trout, it gives other species and bait dunkers something to fish for. Not sure I want the weekend brigade that feels they must get to the hills to catch magnificent 8" - 13" trouts for snacks at local spots more than they already are. Leave em all at Georgetown.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

The put and take mentality of stocking trout in waters that are not really suitable for them (front range lakes for instance) is IMO a hugh waste of time money and resourses. These bodies of water should be managed as warm water fisheries.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbydog
The put and take mentality of stocking trout in waters that are not really suitable for them (front range lakes for instance) is IMO a hugh waste of time money and resourses. These bodies of water should be managed as warm water fisheries.

I agree, but making bass fatter is worth it.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
Shad would never survive in Williams Fork and Granby...they sift food from the water...those two lakes are almost sterile...not to mention they would freeze to death...they couldnt even get shad going in Aurora...
My name is mark and I like to kill dave's dreams.

Stock alewifes in there, or rock bass.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

10 years ago 80% of the fisherman took home some trout, now it is only 40 %, why? is it the economy, is it the size of the limits, have more fisherman gone to C&R? probably all of the above. money wise trout will always rule in colo. some fisherman have gone to warm water to get more for their money, others have quit fishing all together. many have come to warm water for the challenge and to learn new skills. the trout water will remain trout water, and warm water will stay that way, they will just be managed better for the fisherman. the problem we have as warm water fishermen is that we have almost no hatcherys and we have to depend on other states to supply fish to stock. our biggest problem will be water. we have lost a lot of water for warm water fishing, bonny, nee noshee, queens to name a few. we are getting a new lake east of fountain, but that is 6-7 years away. many newcomers to our state are warm water fishermen, and find a good fishery that they know from where they come from. many of them get bit by the ice fishing bug and chase trout in the winter but change to warm water in spring. IMO the trout guys will always out spend us, so it remains to be seen how much better it can get for us

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in