Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Can't find info on a strike indicator/bobber please help. With follow up Q?

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  tangler 
#1 ·
Ok I have had enough of looking on the net. Please help me out guys. I am looking into trying nymph fishing on some trout lakes I like to visit. Now I got this idea from a fishing show on WFN ( yeah I’m THAT guy who tries stuff he sees the experts do ). Be that as it may, here is what I’m looking for.

They used a strike indicator more like a bobber actually, that would detach itself upon a fish striking the fly. Then the bobber/indicator slides down your line as you reel the fish in and comes to rest upon your pinch on weight. ONLY thing is I cannot find these in any of the fishing equipment shops I have been in nor can I find the right wording online.

Thanks

d

#9 ·
Rock on!! thanks guys.......now,how about a follow up question ;D...... what are the 2 go-to nymphs you would advise me to carry? Remember I'm lake fishing these not flinging them in the stream/river. I was going to try a zebra in a couple diff colors and a stonefly. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the help!

d

#10 ·
A Zebra is a pretty good choice Size 10-18 olive, black or red...I don't know about the stone fly though, not to say a fish wouldn't eat them but, they're not found in lakes...I'd go with an olive hares ear type fly in a size 14. It's a very generic suggestive pattern that could imitate almost anything that lives in a lake.

#11 ·
dblendc said:
Rock on!! thanks guys.......now,how about a follow up question ;D...... what are the 2 go-to nymphs you would advise me to carry? Remember I'm lake fishing these not flinging them in the stream/river. I was going to try a zebra in a couple diff colors and a stonefly. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the help!

d
Chironomids, callibaetis, and scuds.

#12 ·
The only benefit I see to the slip strike indicator is it allows you to strip more line in after hooking up to make landing fish easier. Not many instances when my leader is too long it makes landing fish difficult, but I can see how they have their time and place. Never heard of them before.

#13 ·
Thanks for the info on types of flies to carry.....scuds were the next thing I was going to type :)

@Riplip- that is precisely what I'm after. If I'm dead drifting from my boat or just letting the nymphs hang out near the bottom from my boat in say 12 feet of water, I would have to stop reeling/stripping line and remove said bobber giving mr. trout too much free time/slack.

@Tangler, but what style/color of Chironomids would you suggest?

Thanks again for the feedback guys. I knew I should have just posted the question on here long ago ;)

d

#15 ·
Shoe's Plumb Bobbers work great.

Imagine being in a belly boat, fishing 14' down, and trying to land a fish without a long landing net. The releasing bobber makes it simple, b/c you can retrieve the fish all the way in.

You can get them at Jax in Fort Collins by the way, as well at FeatherCraft

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.