Swimbait rod and reel setup. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Swimbait rod and reel setup.

Anyone have tips on a decent rod and reel setup for swimbaits. Looking for a rod around $50 or less, and a reel in about the same range, or a combo in the $60-$70 range.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Swimbait rod and reel setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejig
Anyone have tips on a decent rod and reel setup for swimbaits. Looking for a rod around $50 or less, and a reel in about the same range, or a combo in the $60-$70 range.
I've been looking at an ugly stick casting rod and a round abu to go on it.....I'm sure it seems strange to most, but even as a custom guy, throwing a moving bait as little as I would be doing it, an ugly stick is hard to beat for the toughness and cheapness factors...
koldkut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Alot more people than would care to admit it use Ugly sticks for swimbaits; they're not bad for the task. Add a good used round reel (Abu 5600 or a Shimano Cardiff) to it from ebay and you're in business.
VolFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies! so is casting a round reel the same as casting a baitcaster? I've tried casting a baitcaster and it was very frustrating so is a round reel easier?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the replies! so is casting a round reel the same as casting a baitcaster? I've tried casting a baitcaster and it was very frustrating so is a round reel easier?
Not really.

I use an round Abu on my swimbait rod. I would rather use a low-profile reel for the repeated casting, but the round reel has a clicker, and sees double-duty as a bait-dunking machine.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Tubejig, that is a tall order. Your best bet would be used. Try to find an Abu, like a 6500 size Ambassadeur, and a used Okuma 7'11" MH rod. That Okuma rod is about the cheapest good swimbait rod you can get. Used you should be able to find a good deal on it. Be patient. Getting a crap setup you will have to replace is no bargain.

Better reel would be a Shimano Curado 300 size. I have a CU300D, and love it all to hell. But it is a little more $$.

SS
Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Are the shadows keeping you up at night tubejig
GrumpieGills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpie
Are the shadows keeping you up at night tubejig
Yuppers Grumpie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator Tot
Tubejig, that is a tall order. Your best bet would be used. Try to find an Abu, like a 6500 size Ambassadeur, and a used Okuma 7'11" MH rod. That Okuma rod is about the cheapest good swimbait rod you can get. Used you should be able to find a good deal on it. Be patient. Getting a crap setup you will have to replace is no bargain.

Better reel would be a Shimano Curado 300 size. I have a CU300D, and love it all to hell. But it is a little more $$.

SS
Thanks DT, I will definitely keep that into consideration, I really dont want a poor cheap setup. Thanks for the suggestions on rods and reels. Is that curado a spinning reel?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

No, it is a baitcaster.

Unless you are going to commit to using braid 100% of the time, don't bother trying to use a spinning reel for big baits. Look at it like this; have you EVER seen a picture in a magazine of a dude holding up a big musky and a spinning rod?

Me neither.

SS
Old 04-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Learning to throw with a baitcaster is actually easy. I'm addicted to mine. Only been throwing them 1 year now. I have several now as well as several spinning reels. The last laker I caught was off the spinner Shimano reel, St Croix Premier rod, with 10lb low vis green xt line. I have differnt swimbait and bait caster rods. My best is a Phenix custom made for me by Andrew (Koldkut). It's good for up to 2oz baites. I have more stern rod I picked up from Bo (Southplatter) that will handle up to 10oz baits. My best baitcastin rod is a St Croix Avid, used for XRAPS, LC's and rogues primarily. The only pricey rod is the custom. The others I got into for $100 combo.The AVID with Curado was $250 plus. Shop this forum, you really can get good deals here. I believe quality gives me the confidence to set the hook. I also have alot of Ugly Sticks, one hell of a rod for the money. Use em for trollin. I figure $200-$300 should put you in great equipment.
colonative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in