More wisdom from the Group, please. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default More wisdom from the Group, please.

Ok, I have a new to me (thanks Oyey) 74# Power Drive Minn Kota trolling motor. I believe it's from 2004ish.

Anyway, it has autopilot and the universal sonar with this unit. The first time I used it, I noticed it caused problems with my existing Humminbird sonar. I have my HB transducer mounted on the lower part of my hull, in the back. The problem I have is when the t-motor is actually running, it causes the graph on my HB to pretty much just disappear.

My assumption was, since the cable for the universal sonar was not connected to anything, it was causing the interference in my HB screen display. Seeing as my head unit was up front near me and the bow mount motor.

Well, I also got a new to me (thanks, Discloco) Lowrance X125 (the adapter I have on the t-motor is for a Lowrance). So, with some help from a couple of friends, we rerouted the wiring for the HB, moving everything to the rear of the boat. I then installed the X125 where the HB used to be, and plugged into the universal sonar in the t-motor. On dry land, I wasn't getting anything really for readings, but everything powered up and worked.

Once on the water, and in use, total nightmare! Neither unit worked worth a damn when the bow mount motor was on. Clearly, the bow mount is the motor that we primarily use all day when we're out on the water, so in essence, I was fishing blind, or at the least, vision impaired.

By the end of the day, the Lowrance wouldn't even graph at all, just black streaks. I changed all the settings, even reset to default settings.

Not sure what's going on, but I'm getting very frustrated. Anyone on here have issues with their universal sonars? I have to think it is related to the universal sonar, I had no problems before installing this trolling motor.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ken
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: More wisdom from the Group, please.

As for the Humminbird issue - get a filtered power cord. They are easy to get directly from humminbird and cost $10 or so.

I can't help you with the Lowrance, sorry.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

I should add that I had the same issue with my Bird and i-Pilot. The filtered power cord provided by Humminbird solved my issue instantly!
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well, don't know the deal with what's going on with the humminbird. That x125 was connected to my terrova us2 sonar and worked great. I did however have to get the connection just right on the blue adapter from the us2 to the Lowrance adapter. I had lines on the graph until I got upset and cussed a little. Good luck with that troubleshoot.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Is the power to your sonar coming off your trolling motor batteries? I had similar problems and switched my sonar power feeds to my starting battery and problem solved.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

It's probably not the Universal Sonar that is causing your interference issues, it's likely the trolling motor itself. There is a whole array of things you can do to help your problem. Google "trolling motor sonar interference" and such. This issue and the fixes are discussed on lots of boards. It's a very common issue.

Additionally, you may now be getting "cross-talk" between the two transducers and sonars if you're trying to use both at the same time. You may only be able to have one turned on at a time.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
P I K E

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeHunter27
Is the power to your sonar coming off your trolling motor batteries? I had similar problems and switched my sonar power feeds to my starting battery and problem solved.
X2^^^^^^ Had the same problem on my old boat and after I did the same thing Trav did problem solved!!!
Good luck Ken!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Nope, all electronics are on their own power source. I will look into the shielded wire though. Sounds promising.
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwigglestheworm
Thanks guys. Nope, all electronics are on their own power source. I will look into the shielded wire though. Sounds promising.
Running a common ground between the batteries helped when I had the issue, if I remember right, along with installing magnets on one of the cables (power cable?) going into my Lowrance unit. Sorry I just don't remember all the details.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is a write up and several topic related to this on http://www.bbcboards.net. I didn't have time to search but there is a fairly extensive thread on it.

Couple of highlights-

Wire the power for hummingbird direct to the battery, not off a power block.
Do not run the transducer cable in the coiled wire running to the trolling motor head.

Basically yo want to remove or reduce any areas where the power and transducer cables run near each other.

The other thing is to call Hummingbird. It's a known item with them and they have a good track record of isolating them and getting them fixed.

Also, you need to test on the water, or where there is a ground for the TM to reach out to. testing in the garage will not work or so I have read.

Good luck

Brett

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in