Trout Fishing??? Beginner here - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trout Fishing??? Beginner here

First off Hello to everyone on the board. I'm new to fishing but it seems that i'm "hooked" lol. I have a few questions since i am very new to this i have been sticking with smaller lakes to go fishing and practicing different bait and set-ups. I have gone to Bear Creek lake NO LUCK and also i headed up to ST. Vrains Park caught a couple small trout and a larger Gizzard Shad. My question is where should a beginner go? what should i use to be more effective bait wise? and should i stick to live rather than plastic when possible?Thanks for any help!! also i dont only want to fish for Trout so any other tips for different fish would be great too!!!
lx470guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Trout Fishing??? Beginner here

I asked about the same question a few days ago. Here the link to that posting. It will give you an Idea about some of the bait to use.

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...p?topic=6737.0
Old 03-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Mr. Ed

Those are some pretty broad questions that would be tough to address in a single reply. Different techniques have different effects depending on the body of water, the time of the year, etc., etc. I would say go through the forum and the fishing reports as best you can to pick up on techniques. If there is a particular body of water you are looking to target, click on the search button and type in the name of the lake or river - you should get some pretty good reports! If it's a particular species - use the search feature for that species. There's a lot of good info in these threads!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well Said Mr. Ed... There are just to many variables when it comes to fishing to address in one post
striper_fly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear

Drift nightcrawlers in streams. Works year round.

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2006, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

If it is trout you want, wait a few weeks for the DOW to start its fishing/sticking report again and just follow the stocking truck. Basically anything will catch them.
gotmusky? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2006, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Big difference between stocked trout and wild trout. Do you eat the fish you catch? Have you ever bought trout from the supermarket? If so you will love Co. Powerbait on a sliding weight and follow the stocking trucks(they will list waters stocked on the DOW web sight). If you don't want to bother with the mess fish artificial. Light weight lures, flys, ect. people who are good at baiting can catch and release on bait, but i would only try it as a new-B if you are ok with eating you catch. Any-who get a bike and ride up waterton canyon (end of wadsworth) about 2 1/2 miles. Gat a 1/16 panther martin spiner in any color combo and put some 4lb test on your rod. Always move up stream as you fish (thats what way they face and if they see you, no dice). pull it through pools and slow riffels, you'l get the hang-
good luck, pick up you trash, and enjoy-
bobwall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Worms drifted in a stream works very well, but be careful not to do this on waters designated flys and lures only.

When I first started fishing for trout I tried many things. The nearest to sure things, using lures, is a Mepps Aglia, Panther Martin or Roostertail in a size 0 or 1. Cast upstream or angle across upstream, reel fast enough to keep the lure moving about the same speed as the water is moving. Start, if you can, on the downstream reach of the stream and move upstream, casting into the tails of pools, where riffles meet calmer water, along the bubble or foam line. You'll get the hang of it soon. After you have learned to read the water, you will want to try other lures and maybe get into fly fishing. Enjoy and remember that the Gods don't count days fishing agains our lives.
Spin Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Floating jointed rapalas are pretty reliable, the top water action is also fun to watch. some folks file the barbs off to make it easier on the fish, or easier to pull out of your finger. carry needle nose pliers in your tackle box to help reduce the possibility of snagging digits. needlenose with side cutters would be even better if you should bury a barb in your hand or where ever, push it through clip the barb pull it back out and get back to the fishing.
Remember to wet your hands before handling trout. I've heard that dry hands will remove the mucus from their skin and leave them more susceptible to disease. Get the two line stamp on your licence so you can float bait and crank lures. Most of all enjoy being outside. Good luck to ya..
hook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in