pontoon/belly rod holder review - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default pontoon/belly rod holder review

mmmmmkay, two rod holders. cabelas rod holder and bps pontoon/belly boat rod holder.
bps rod holder new just opened.

cabelas rod holder.

these will both be on 9 foot trout unlimited pontoons exact same model just different colors.

initial is my cabelas which i have had on my pontoon since i bought it a year ago is its stable. solidly constructed. holds a baitcaster better than an open face but as you see still holds it well. pivots good doesnt shake. i even bolt my fishfinder to its base and troll and its stable.
the bps we just picked up, i put off getting a second holder until we see how it holds in the field. not as wide as the cabelas. built to hold a open face vs the baitcaster imo. it does look a bit flimsily built. padded nice around the cradle the red stuff. to protect nice rods from scratching i do like that. i will get another after a few trips up using it. it will be on my dads toon. mines got the cabelas... hey i bought mine first. lol.

here you can see it with the humminbird 110 fishfinder clamped on it at rampart last year. ive upgraded to the 140c which works great! btw. this also shows you the boats im using them on, should work similarly on belly boats and other pontoons imo.

the other toon for comparison. same.

overall before the bps even gets in the water. i like the cabelas. might be ordering two more online. if the bps fails the field use test.
tightlines.
TL1000R
tl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: pontoon/belly rod holder review

Nice. I just use Mountain Bike stems for my rod holders. You can get them free from just about any bike shop. Just tell them what you're using them for and ask if they have any that they replaced when people upgraded their headset. I think I still have three or four lying around.

I also used one for my fishing buddy before I replaced it. Gets rid of that clunky mount that comes with the unit. I also put a tennis ball on the shaft of the fishing buddy. Allows you to set the depth you want it to run and eliminates the bouncing around in the cup as you're motoring along. Nice tight fit.

hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: pontoon/belly rod holder review

well the bps held up. could use a tightening on the tension lever. still think the cabelas is better.
i d make one hobie but i like the cabelas design fits on the toon nice. acts as fish finder mount for the fishin buddy 140c also.
heading back out tomorrow to see how they do again.
tl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in