another new guy to Colorado - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default another new guy to Colorado

Hello everyone.

I stumbled upon this site earlier today and had to set up my account. I am new to fishing in Colorado. I am from Wisconsin and only know Bass fishing so trout have so far been a bit of a challenge to me. But thanks to some tips I picked up on this site I think I will have better luck.

I am a western sloper and find myself spending alot of time fishing the Rifle area.

I look forward to sharing some success stories on here soon.
krausen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: another new guy to Colorado

Trout are easy, they don't seem as finicky as the warm water species. You'll have to stick to the lakes untill after runnoff, so learn the art of powerbaiting for stocked trout (slip weight, small hook, beverage). The high mountain streems will clear up the quickest. around july start backpacking into some of the remote streems and lakes around you. These fish can be tricky, don't let them see you coming. Leave the powerbait at home, you will want small spinners (panther martins or mepps, 2 smalest sizes), flys (grasshopper, ant, caddis, behind a bobber on spin-tackel or learn to fly fish), and maby small spoons (smalest castmasters or daredevils). you can always float worms too. Once the colorado clears up, start fishing it with larger spinners, rappalas or float worms (look up some posts by TroutFishingBear on floating crawlers, he seems to be the king.)

Keep only what you'll eat, don't leave crap on the ground, and welcome to Colorado! Good luck-
bobwall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome and I agree with bob wall who? bob wall
Big_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2006, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Fishing around Rifle is good at the lakes around there for trout etc. When the Grand Mesa Opens up there are a great many lakes on the Mesa also. Splake, Trout. Fly and Bubble Technique works well in all the above areas. Areas around Buena Vista and Salida are starting to open also. Salida has three or four lakes open. Twin Lakes and Forebay are open also in certain areas. Went yesterday to forebay. Caught and released 15 nice rainbows and one 14" brown. Fly and Bubble with "Montera's Marvels" flies. Needed a meal worm on the end and the water is bone chilling. Great fishing. Want any other information please feel free to contact me.
fliesbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2006, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Well yesterday I went out and bought some salmon eggs, some grubs, and a panther martin spinner. I tried all three this morning along with some other stuff I had and old faithful worms and I didn't have any luck.

I decided to try the Parachute Ponds and when I got there it was raining and snowing. It did let up but I didn't catch anything. Just watched fish jump all around me. Will probably try again later this afternoon.
krausen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome!! Hope to hear of many successes!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear

Hey. Glad to see another west sloper aboard. Rifle gap is a great place. It has yellow perch to 14", a few big walleye, a lot of nice northern pike, some nice rainbows, a few nice browns, some smallmouth, and the rare largemouth and crappie. Also, golden shiners are infesting the lake...if you get these, destroy them. C&R on walleye, keeping only the rare pike, throwing back big smallmouth and any browns, is in order. Go crazy on the perch and keep a limit of bows. Good spots are that island, the west end, and off the dam. The east inlet is okay for pike this time of year too, as is the west inlet. Trout also inhabit these areas.

Another good fishery is harvey gap reservoir. Big catfish, pike, largemouth bass, and smallmouth bass. Also small stocker bows, a bunch of stunted perch, small crappie, and some good sized bluegill that average a solid 8". Pike, largemouth, and smallmouth should be released. Limit for catfish is 2. Keep as many yellow perch as you want and keep a limit of crappie and/or bluegill if you want. also you can keep a limit of stocker trout. The forage are white suckers and carp.

The colorado river from grizzly creek to silt is excellent for trout. Find big pools, particularly sandbars for rainbows, and drift nightcrawlers, and you're in business. For browns, rocky runs are the ticket. The water is very muddy and unfishable now- I suggest waiting until july.

The white river about 1-1.5 hrs away is still fishing well above meeker. Big rainbows, browns, some cutts and brookies.
The yampa river has excellent trout in the higher reaches, and in the lower reaches monster northern pike and the biggest smallmouth in the state abound, as well as catfish. The pike and smallies should be released.

You have some great fishing around you!

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Another Wisconsinite! Yahooo! There are a few from the Midwest here!

Welcome!
wraithR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in