boat owners a battery question? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default boat owners a battery question?

on a boat that has more than one battery do you disconnect all from the battery prior to charging the batteries or do you leave the wires on the terminals? they are fused and such i just dont know whether youd disconnect the accessories then charge then reconnect. or leave them connected> ? thanks boat owners. i dont want to fry the new freshy.
btw the boat, its 18 feet, 140 hp fuel injected outboard deep v. going out tomorrow for a test fish in it. cant wait!!
tl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: boat owners a battery question?

Onboard chargers can be left connected. Most boats have master power switches that alleviate any concerns. BOAT

Break
Out
Another
Thousand
Old 05-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

I find this funny, you guys hold on to fishing advice like it is a national secret but readily expect mechanical help at the quick easy drop of a note. Now I may be venting on the wrong place or person and for that I apologize. I will not apologize for the rest of this. When people ask for help you all talk about paying dues and learning from experience. Why dont you follow your own advice? Just asking for you all to see another side to the story. Some people know fishing some people know mechanics. When asked for help thats all we want. Now that I am done on the soap box I will offer some help.
It is reccomended to disconnect the accessories from the battery while charging. You can leave them attached but with all chargers the a/c d/c isnt a pure conversion and you do have some a/c current leaking through the charger. Batteries do filter this but since they are connected at the same point the accessories will be exposed to it more directly. A couple of surges and this is why it worked last year and when I got it out of storage it doesnt work this year. The other issue is with having a bunch of connections directly to the battery. With the cheap construction of modern ring terminals they rhemselfs react with the steel and lead batt terminal and cause their own resistance problems. This leeds to the need for more maintenance etc. the best plan is to isolate the battery with a manual circuit breaker or a disconnect switch. This allows you to turn off the whole boat and keep the connections away from the battery. This will help reduce maintenance and future failures. You can leave the charger connected to the batt side of the circuit breaker this will allow you to charge just the battery and not affect the equiptment.
Now to finish beating the horse, you see this free advice affects me in ways equivalent to your fishing. I actualy earn a living off this knowledge, more so than your enjoyment of your favorite fishing hole. So think about something (probably wont but its worth a try) giving out
some free fishing tips costs you well nothing, me giving out mechanical advice costs me 35.00 an hour. Perspective. It is a good word but definately double edged.
Again sorry for the rant and novel but this site is supposed to be freindly and helpful and I just dont see much of the help part.
12b_elmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12b_elmo
I find this funny, you guys hold on to fishing advice like it is a national secret but readily expect mechanical help at the quick easy drop of a note. Now I may be venting on the wrong place or person and for that I apologize. I will not apologize for the rest of this. When people ask for help you all talk about paying dues and learning from experience. Why dont you follow your own advice? Just asking for you all to see another side to the story. Some people know fishing some people know mechanics. When asked for help thats all we want. Now that I am done on the soap box I will offer some help.
It is reccomended to disconnect the accessories from the battery while charging. You can leave them attached but with all chargers the a/c d/c isnt a pure conversion and you do have some a/c current leaking through the charger. Batteries do filter this but since they are connected at the same point the accessories will be exposed to it more directly. A couple of surges and this is why it worked last year and when I got it out of storage it doesnt work this year. The other issue is with having a bunch of connections directly to the battery. With the cheap construction of modern ring terminals they rhemselfs react with the steel and lead batt terminal and cause their own resistance problems. This leeds to the need for more maintenance etc. the best plan is to isolate the battery with a manual circuit breaker or a disconnect switch. This allows you to turn off the whole boat and keep the connections away from the battery. This will help reduce maintenance and future failures. You can leave the charger connected to the batt side of the circuit breaker this will allow you to charge just the battery and not affect the equiptment.
Now to finish beating the horse, you see this free advice affects me in ways equivalent to your fishing. I actualy earn a living off this knowledge, more so than your enjoyment of your favorite fishing hole. So think about something (probably wont but its worth a try) giving out
some free fishing tips costs you well nothing, me giving out mechanical advice costs me 35.00 an hour. Perspective. It is a good word but definately double edged.
Again sorry for the rant and novel but this site is supposed to be freindly and helpful and I just dont see much of the help part.
The problem in finding the help you seek is that you haven't accumulated enough posts yet. When you reach 12 posts, you will receive a PM with a link to the sub forum...TREASURE MAPS AND HONEY HOLES...This sub forum provides the names of lakes, GPS coordinates and waypoints...along with specific times to fish and which lures to use. The minimum post count is a way to reduce lurking on the site.

If you don't receive the PM after your 12th post... just shoot a PM to Donald..He owns and administers the site...I'm sure he'll get the link right out to ya.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

12b elmo=leech
Practice what you preach man. 3 posts you sure LOVE to help people
:tard:
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12b_elmo
The problem in finding the help you seek is that you haven't accumulated enough posts yet. When you reach 12 posts, you will receive a PM with a link to the sub forum...TREASURE MAPS AND HONEY HOLES...This sub forum provides the names of lakes, GPS coordinates and waypoints...along with specific times to fish and which lures to use. The minimum post count is a way to reduce lurking on the site.

If you don't receive the PM after your 12th post... just shoot a PM to Donald..He owns and administers the site...I'm sure he'll get the link right out to ya.
foflmao...
Old 05-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

hey I never got the link

I bet its racial
Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSTMYMARBLES
hey I never got the link
me neither
Quote:
I bet its racial
me too... what ever color, shape, size, gender or political persuasion you gotta be in order to get a free ride... i ain't it
Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaBigun
Quote:
hey I never got the link
me neither
Quote:
I bet its racial
me too... what ever color, shape, size, gender or political persuasion you gotta be in order to get a free ride... i ain't it
Did you guys PM Donald?
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

idk maybe its me but I feel like asking someone where to fish or what to use is like saying" hey man can you come over and show me how to screw my wife"

just my opinion(I am allowed to state my opinion here right?)
you guys areny gunna say opinions are incouraged and then send me a email saying im stiring the pot? cuz I dont think I could take another one of those

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in