Pueblo creel survey - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pueblo creel survey

I came off the lake Thur and the inspection guy handed me a survey, mostly about walleye. I talked to the guy a bit and it looks like the DOW is possibly looking at changing the 18" minimum on walleye to a slot. Like many, I think this is just what this lake needs.

Anybody know anything more about it.

Heck, I'd like to see a slot in the reg's for bass. Way too many runts out tthere.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Pueblo creel survey

I was at Pueblo Mothers Day and got a survey too, but doesnt sound like this one. Had more questions about what and how many people were fishing for how long what species etc. Got a free pencil out of the deal too. I think its a multi fold puzzle though, think they are looking for more monies and to alter the fishing species to taylor the lake to gain attendance.
12b_elmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

We have a new biologist down here (young and full of energy) who wants info to help manage the fishery better. Fundamentally trying to get the most bang for the buck (maximize customer satisfaction with an extremely limited budget). Apparently the last creel survey was ~12 years ago.

Although there are lots of people looking for a change in the Walleye regulations, there is no way to predict if that will happen or not. They will not compromise the brood stock we have here. There were lots of 19 and 20 inch males being caught (by anglers) this spring, and that would not happen with a shorter length limit......

Of course you all know that with the 18 inch minimum we catch tons of 17 and 17.5 inchers. Given the fishing pressure, it's likely that a 16 inch minimum would result in the majority of the population being reduced to less than 16 - that would be a shame.

I Love that they are doing the survey.

Crk.
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Its not a shorter length limit, its a slot-very different.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to earplug Send a message via Yahoo to earplug

The slot should be sized to a twelve inch fry pan.
Nothing akward for a fine eating fish.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

A lot of Minnesota lakes have went to something along the following and they have never been better...a lot more fish get through the 17 inch barrier than you think...

Walleye: Release immediately all walleye 17" through 28.0"; Possession limit is 4, with only one over 28.0".
Old 05-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

this has been in the works for a couple of years now. an 18" min is targeting our brood fish now. a 17" fish is in the start of the brood size, 17 to 24 inch are prime brooders. it looks like it might be 14 to 18 inchs you can keep 4 fish, 18 to 24 inchs you can not keep any fish in this size, you can keep 1 fish over 24 inchs in your 4 fish limit
Old 05-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Part of the Minnesota slot I posted above was from the famed Mille Lacs Lake which if I remember correctly is about a 100 miles north of Minneapolis/St Paul...it is a 132,516 acre fish factory...check out the regs...especially the crazy night ones for a month...I wonder why they have that?...seems really weird seeing the "opener" started on Saturday May 12th year...will have to PM Wanzek to see if he knows why since he lives close to there now...

2012-13 Mille Lacs Regulations
(including tributaries to posted boundaries)
Mille Lacs Lake Walleye Slot Limit Change

Walleye: Release immediately all walleye 17" through 28.0"; Possession limit is 4, with only one over 28.0".

Northern Pike: Release immediately all 27.0" through 40.0". Possession limit is 3, only 1 over 40.0". No spearing.

Smallmouth Bass: Release immediately all less than 21.0". Possession limit is 1.

Tullibee (Northern Cisco): Possession limit is 10.

Other Species: Follow statewide regulations.

No Culling

Night Closure: No one may fish for any species or possess fishing gear on the lake from 10 p.m. through 6 a.m. starting at 10 p.m. on May 14, 2012, and ending at 12:01 a.m. on June 11, 2012.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

I got the survey the other day at the lake and it's just what Byron says, they are looking at implementing a slot limit on the eyes. One other piece of information is that the 12-16" fish are going to be primarily males. When netting is done it does not take many males to fertilize a hell of a lot of eggs, so a slot limit is a good idea in my opinion. Just make sure to save our big girls!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

So happy 'bout this... def need it for bass too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in