Shopping locally??? I tried... - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shopping locally??? I tried...

So I'm writing this rant about sportsmans warehouse in Loveland...

I'm in the market for a baitcaster and decided to check sportsman's last night......I stood around the counter for 20 minutes waiting for joe blow to finish "flirting" with these 2 guys who he obviously knew. I made it clear I wanted some help.....only a rookie salesman wouldn't see I was interested in a reel. So instead of dropping my money here in Colorado...I'm gonna buy from tackle warehouse......which has 15% off all orders plus some freebies.

I hope that sportmans stays open....though it may be tough when the sales people dont help the customers to shop for items under glass. My 200 bucks is headed elsewhere.....
mogul buster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Shopping locally??? I tried...

Had the same experience in thornton sportsmans.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Not a fan of Sportsmans Warehouse. Their entire jig head selection consists of two and three packs of freshwater basic jig heads...Ah..I think they have a couple other branded two packs..Give me a break...a tackle warehouse and you can't buy jig heads in bulk? Unreal. But the Springs has nothing.
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

been to the one in Loveland twice.will never go back.the guy in the fishing section was actually bad mouthing products that they sell and trying to sell me some brand that i didnt want.real pi$$ poor training if there was any
Old 05-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sportsmans here in CS isn't a very good store-much less in the way of selection than before they declared bankruptcy.

When Bass pro opens on the north end of town, I think they'll have a hard time staying in business. Can't wait for the BPS store, no more drives to Denver.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

As a veteran of SW, I can tell you that they suffer from the same issues that any place has. I have heard exactly the same complaints about any other store, be it a box or a mom and pop.

Good people are hard to find. I was the fishing department manager at the Thornton store, and the Littleton store. I stepped down as manager because I did not want to fire people. I am just not geared towards being a "bad cop" and it was bugging me out.

The previous CEO Stuart Uttgard was a egomaniac spendthrift who snorted coke and frequented prostitutes. If that sounds like liable, I am sorry, but it is true as sure as the sun rises in the east. He took a basically good company and ran it into the dirt with his vanity and egocentric unrealistic ambition, and he did it in record time.

The new owners are very different, and I honestly don't know much about them other than what I hear from the few people I still know out there. They are very thrifty, and I assume that they will not make the same mistakes that Stu and company made.

I have no skin in the game at this point, but I do wish them well. I will say that you can get good or bad service at any establishment, like you can get a good or bad meal at any joint depending on the day. It is what it is, and it ain't gonna change.

SS
Old 05-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I try to shop local as well, but it is more than customer service, the store here just flat do not carry the gear I use. 300 series reels, I think there may be ONE in town. Cabelas here is extremely poorly staffed by folks that are just there for a paycheck. SW has some great folks in fishing, but they can only sell what corp sends them. It is frustrating for sure, I like to play with goodies before I buy, not internet friendly.
flyfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Dang...No wonder SW had to close all of those stores. Great example from the top of the food chain, LOL.
nonick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hate to be critical, mogul.... but that isn't "shopping locally".

now if you went down the road to bennett's and they pretty much spit in your eye when you asked to see their dusty reels....,

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Nobody's perfect. I've had bad experiences at Bass Pro, too. You encountered a bad employee, not a bad company.

SW earned a lot of respect from me recently when they stepped up and helped end the practice of killing trophy lake trout at one of the tournaments they sponsor at Flaming Gorge. After some dialogue and help from SW the organizer agreed to make the lake trout winner the heaviest fish 28" in length or under rather than the heaviest fish over 36".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in