Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Carp Fishing Advice...lol (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62461)

jdizzle 06-05-2012 02:10 PM

Carp Fishing Advice...lol

So I'm taking my daughter deep sea fishing at the end of July and I wanted her to get in some practice with bigger fish. So I thought we should try to go get her hooked on some carp so she can get used to her deep sea pole (big thanks to Pikester on that one) and used to fighting bigger fish, but i haven't really targeted carp before ??? So now I'm looking for so advice from the CF community on how to catch carp and maybe even good places to go. We live in Longmont so the closer the better. Also feel free to PM me.
Thanks in advance

chuckphlegm 06-05-2012 02:24 PM

Re: Carp Fishing Advice...lol

Carp seems to like nightcrawlers.

McIntosh has a lot of Carp.

McCall has a bunch of Carp, but you might catch a lot of trout in the process.

Lagerman is also filthy with carp.

I am not sure about the regs., but if you can fish with bait at Izaak Walton pond by the fairgrounds, I would give that a try.

ephemeral 06-05-2012 03:59 PM

Crayfish meat also works well for carp. Too bad this state has the regulation against use of corn, its hands down the best bait for carp...

yakatut 06-05-2012 04:10 PM

Sloan lake - take some dough (bread) and you will be in action in no time.

fowl_hooked 06-05-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ephemeral
Too bad this state has the regulation against use of corn, its hands down the best bait for carp...

Ummm.....huh? No it doesn't

Which brings up my next point -- canned corn soaked in dole pineapple juice works very well for carp.
thread 4 or 5 kernels on a #4 octopus hook and put 2 split shot about 10" above the hook. Cast out and wait. If they are in the area they will usually bite.

fish fetish 06-05-2012 11:26 PM

Corn is absolutely legal to use for bait in Colorado- show me the regs. that state it's not. Chumming however is not legal, so you will have to rely on a few kernels on a hook. I prefer green giant extra sweet niblets or steam crisp super sweet yellow & white. Try & target areas with high carp populations, trout really love corn as well & tend to swallow the hook. I have seen bass, bluegill, crappie, bullhead, sheephead, trout, & pike (yes pike- my friend caught a 16" & 18" pike- wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there)caught on canned corn. I have a theory every living thing likes corn, especially after my wife videos our 3 month old kitten eating corn right off the cob, no salt or butter or seasoning of any kind. Dough- baits with strawberry jello work as well, but again, expect to slaughter mucho trout. Crayfish work well at times too, I insert the hook (# 4 or 6 baitholder) through the thorax or tail and smash the head with a rock to get a little scent in the water. Good luck, hope you get into some!

GrumpieGills 06-06-2012 12:45 AM

Hotdog on the bottom (cast easy)

jdizzle 06-06-2012 11:55 AM

Awesome! Thanks everyone. I think I got a good starting point :)

bigritty 06-07-2012 02:47 PM

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat...rp_baits.phtml

here is a website for some carp bait that have worked for me and i think almost all metro lakes have carp just some have bigger carp

good luck
ritty

ephemeral 06-08-2012 01:28 PM

@Fowl_Hooked: I was given a warning at Boyd in 2006 or 2007 by a ranger for using corn in CO waterways. I don't have a copy of the 2012 regs at hand, but the warning was baded on the rule against use of food as bait. I'll find the exact wording when I can dig up the regulation I'm reffering to.

Careful with corn guys, and the same reg, if still in use, would also ban breaddough for bait as well...