Near-death experiences on the water - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear
Default Near-death experiences on the water

yesterday I was fishing the river near my house and the banks are concrete and really steep in the area (it was a new spot for me, prolly never shouldve went there.) somehow, when I was walking down the steep concrete to another spot (I was about 20 ft above the water or so) I slipped, hit my head, broke my fishing pole and cell phone, and was temporarily knocked unconscious/dazed...about 1 min later I came to about 30 yards downriver choking down river water...almost drowned and died...but NOT QUITE

Please share some of your similar experiences.

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Near-death experiences on the water

Glad your ok...

Last year I was fishing Pinewood for tigers and noticed a guy from the corner of my eye look like he kept getting hit. I got a little closer to see him trying to snag tiger muskies....Needless to say he almost didn't survive!!!
dieseldoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Man, I am glad you are ok. Sounds like you really were in danger there.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albow
Man, I am glad you are ok. Sounds like you really were in danger there.
to think, I used to float the gunnison in the gorge, the colorado in many dangerous sections, and the yampa in many dangerous sections, yet I never came close to anything like this happening...and I went to shore fish a river with just a mild steady current and not really any drastic changes in gradient, and I almost died...shows me you gotta be careful when fishing, no matter where you go and no matter what time.

to the guy who posted about the guy trying to snag tigers, you should've cast over his head with a big treble and jerked it towards him...LMFAO....just kidding, but damn what a loser, he needs to learn how to fish for real.

[/quote]
Old 06-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm the guy that posted about the tiger snagger I'm Eric, formerly fishinguitars....

I'm willing to be a lot of the tigers you see pictures of from younger kids and some db older guys have been snagged. I've seen it more than a few times...They aren't afraid of ish and will just sit and sun themselves in two feet of water. It makes me sick....

When I was younger I didn't prepare myself to fish in colder weather like I should. I'd wear the warmest gear I had, but wasn't concerned with sweat or anything.....Long story short I got sicker than a dog from a long hike. Don't think I was hypothermic(sp), but I was damn close. Live and learn.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

yeah when I was 10 or so I remember fishing for small tigers (mid 20" range) at harvey gap and I could see em...even tho I got skunked that day I still didn't try to snag any...finally got one to commit on a banjo minnow...must've thrown it past him 20 times, I bet he finally just hit it cuz I pissed him off , but I missed him...and that's definitely a good point you make eric, you gotta prepare for the weather, and you have to prepare for it being worse than you could imagine it being...it is great to talk to you again btw; used to love your crash the hatch posts.

[/quote]
Old 06-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

You too buddy.. Not trying to get off track on the post, but mad props for stepping up and being an awesome Dad. Takes a real man to do what your doing.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldoctor
You too buddy.. Not trying to get off track on the post, but mad props for stepping up and being an awesome Dad. Takes a real man to do what your doing.
Thanks...I'm glad she wasn't with me when that happened...I always make sure to take her to safe places that I already know the terrain well and have fished so she won't be in any danger. Definitely won't be taking her to this spot, even if it was good fishing; I hooked a keeper walleye but lost it in the five or six casts I had before my accident.

Keep the kids safe!!! only fish easy to access spots with kid-friendly terrain!

[/quote]
Old 06-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

After the Dynamic thread they might not be glad you got out!...

Glad youre ok...Neal said he almost did that Aurora on the dam...in heavy waves...those first steps underwater are slime covered at times worse than freshly zambonied ice...he came close to knocking himself unconscious...
Old 06-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

2 years ago I was fishing williams fork through the ice. I hooked into one of the few monsters into the lake and fought the fish for 36 minutes. When I got him to the hole, I reached down to grab him and he turned and swam harder than the drag, and broke me off. I drilled another hole and began drowning myself in despair and frustration. That coincidentally enough was the last time I ever used berkely vanish.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in