trip advice... San diego? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default trip advice... San diego?

gang I am heading out to San Diego for 10 days at the end of July. This is a trip for the boys and wife, so I only have 1 day to get some fishing in. I am really thinking about paying for a guided trip. and am looking for suggestions... species? outfitters? Inshore? Offshore? Fly? Conventional?

thanks for any help!
FISHJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: trip advice... San diego?

I went out on a trip for calico bass when I went out there last. Not real big fish, but they were fun to catch and man did they ever taste good. Can't remember the name of the charter.
sswan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sharks- on the fly- haven't done it but looked pretty cool in the magazine....
fish fetish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've gotta plug my brother Mark Franco out at Diamond Valley Reservoir. His number is 909-708-6515
xxxxxThat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswan
I went out on a trip for calico bass when I went out there last. Not real big fish, but they were fun to catch and man did they ever taste good. Can't remember the name of the charter.
Uh oh Swannie 3 times of agreement this month!...whoa it is the end of days...well I havent done the Calico thing but fishing with Jeremy of walleye vampire claim...he talks about fishing for them back there and pound for pound being one of the strongest fighters of any fish...
Old 06-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

Calico bass and kelp bass are just STUPID strong for their size.

Here is what I would do... surf fish or get a charter to the kelp beds.

For the surf fishing, it is super different than Gulf Coast surf fishing. Everyone uses real light line, like six pound test. Not kidding.

Get components for Carolina Rigs, 1/4 to 1/2oz eggs, swivels, beads, Tyger or Toothy Critter tieable leader in like 20 pound, and Owner Mosquito hooks in 1 to 2/0. BUY SABIKI RIGS FOR ANCHOVY You can take the bus to the pier (I like the one at Ocean Beach) and go get anchovies with the Sabiki rig. Look for the Asians, fish where they are without crowding them. Usually they are on the 'chovies. If they are not catching the bait, walk up and down the pier looking for the schools. Usually they are closer to the shallow end of the pier. After you get your bait, (20-30 is more than plenty for most days) get a burger at the concession stand and eat it while you look out to the open sea. Sometimes super crazy people will go swimming by a hundred yards or more off shore. There are also random funny things going on on the pier, usually dumb tourist types looking helpless while the locals reel in fish after fish.

Walk down the beach to your left as you leave the pier. There are big rock piles where halibut, baby sharks, rays, croaker, surf perch, and others hang out. Fish there with cut anchovy. As it starts getting towards the low tide in the evening, head down the beach more toward the left to the Dog Beach. Ignore the dogs if, like me, you can't stand big dumb wet dogs jumping at you and barking. Deal with it. At low tide, the marsh/river right there drains out in the area, and there are channels along the break-water that funnel food out to sea. Leopard sharks and halibut come in close as the sun is dropping. Use the wire if you want to land any sharks. They are not real dangerous, don't be scared. They are really fun to catch, and super sporty. You will also catch a variety of rays, be careful, lots of stingrays (cut the line) and guitar fish, which are crazy looking. Bring a camera or I will track you down and shoot you. You will really want these pictures.

As far as artificial lures go, you only need a few things, really. Get some Lucky Craft Pointer Minnows in size 68 and 75. Get a few in both sizes in AMERICAN SHAD. That is about the only color you need. They are expensive, yes, deal with it. How often do you go to San Diego? If you don't catch fish with them, someone here will buy them from you. Rapalas don't work. Rogues don't work. Get the POINTERS or don't bother bringing jerkbaits. Also bring 2 to 3 inch grubs in motor oil and green pumpkin. You don't need jigheads for these, you will drag them on the Carolina rig. Surf perch tear them up! Get plenty three inch Big Hammer swimbaits with the matching Hammer Heads they sell in Key Lime, Green Sardine, Shad, and Blue Shad. That is all you need bait wise, just C-rigs, Sabikis, and those few baits. If you book a charter, they will hook you up.

BRING 8" stainless steel needle nose pliers. Also, a head lamp. A lip-lock tool is a really good idea as well. The halibut in California have fang-like teeth. The halibut is the premier local sportfish, and is the prize you are after. I like catching sharks better, but the halibut is more elusive. Sorta like the SoCal tiger muskie.

Hope this helps.

SS
Old 06-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Now thats quality youre a good man mister ss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator Tot
Calico bass and kelp bass are just STUPID strong for their size.

Here is what I would do... surf fish or get a charter to the kelp beds.

For the surf fishing, it is super different than Gulf Coast surf fishing. Everyone uses real light line, like six pound test. Not kidding.

Get components for Carolina Rigs, 1/4 to 1/2oz eggs, swivels, beads, Tyger or Toothy Critter tieable leader in like 20 pound, and Owner Mosquito hooks in 1 to 2/0. BUY SABIKI RIGS FOR ANCHOVY You can take the bus to the pier (I like the one at Ocean Beach) and go get anchovies with the Sabiki rig. Look for the Asians, fish where they are without crowding them. Usually they are on the 'chovies. If they are not catching the bait, walk up and down the pier looking for the schools. Usually they are closer to the shallow end of the pier. After you get your bait, (20-30 is more than plenty for most days) get a burger at the concession stand and eat it while you look out to the open sea. Sometimes super crazy people will go swimming by a hundred yards or more off shore. There are also random funny things going on on the pier, usually dumb tourist types looking helpless while the locals reel in fish after fish.

Walk down the beach to your left as you leave the pier. There are big rock piles where halibut, baby sharks, rays, croaker, surf perch, and others hang out. Fish there with cut anchovy. As it starts getting towards the low tide in the evening, head down the beach more toward the left to the Dog Beach. Ignore the dogs if, like me, you can't stand big dumb wet dogs jumping at you and barking. Deal with it. At low tide, the marsh/river right there drains out in the area, and there are channels along the break-water that funnel food out to sea. Leopard sharks and halibut come in close as the sun is dropping. Use the wire if you want to land any sharks. They are not real dangerous, don't be scared. They are really fun to catch, and super sporty. You will also catch a variety of rays, be careful, lots of stingrays (cut the line) and guitar fish, which are crazy looking. Bring a camera or I will track you down and shoot you. You will really want these pictures.

As far as artificial lures go, you only need a few things, really. Get some Lucky Craft Pointer Minnows in size 68 and 75. Get a few in both sizes in AMERICAN SHAD. That is about the only color you need. They are expensive, yes, deal with it. How often do you go to San Diego? If you don't catch fish with them, someone here will buy them from you. Rapalas don't work. Rogues don't work. Get the POINTERS or don't bother bringing jerkbaits. Also bring 2 to 3 inch grubs in motor oil and green pumpkin. You don't need jigheads for these, you will drag them on the Carolina rig. Surf perch tear them up! Get plenty three inch Big Hammer swimbaits with the matching Hammer Heads they sell in Key Lime, Green Sardine, Shad, and Blue Shad. That is all you need bait wise, just C-rigs, Sabikis, and those few baits. If you book a charter, they will hook you up.

BRING 8" stainless steel needle nose pliers. Also, a head lamp. A lip-lock tool is a really good idea as well. The halibut in California have fang-like teeth. The halibut is the premier local sportfish, and is the prize you are after. I like catching sharks better, but the halibut is more elusive. Sorta like the SoCal tiger muskie.

Hope this helps.

SS
Old 06-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Diamond Valley Lake, call up Art Berry . Top water striper fishing, i had a great time. Would do it again if i was in the area.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

thanks alot, that is some really good info.
I am going to be sticking to the saltwater, just cause it will probably be 10-12 years before I see the ocean again.
I spoke with a couple of charter/guides and inshore/bay fishing is the way I am leaning. Calico Bass and fishing the kelp beds sounds like a good time. but I am not ruling out shark on the fly either.
FISHJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

There were some posts on here a while back about overnight Tuna fishing trips too. You head out in the afternoon and come back the next day. As I recall, you can take your catch in canned tuna when you get off the boat.
albow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in