Places to go on the GRAND MESA That are wheele chair accesable ? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Places to go on the GRAND MESA That are wheele chair accesable ?

I am 33 now an I got frostbite snow shoeing up at Island lake this past winter. I have lost both my legs bellow the knee. I have recived prostetics for one an the other should be comming soon. I should add I am in a chair at the moment. Fishing has always been a big part of my life. I quess my question is what lakes can I get to at the moment ? I dont want to sit in one spot an fish all day. I have VEGA but Im looking for someware higher on the Mesa. Cottonwood #1 is great an they put that bridge in by thr Damn. An I have had some very good luck for bigger splike by the damn. An Cottonwood #2 I can get aroung but last time I was there I caught nothing. I guess what I am trying to figure out an asking of other lakes My dad an I can get to Thats fishable and accessable for me. I don't wanna make it to ease on me. I still wanna get to the places where the fish are. Onee I get my leg's back I will be hitting carson an a few or hot spots. I have fished most of the lakes up there but it's always hit or miss in certen areas. I would even be happy with accessable creeks that I can get to. Anyway, looking forward to any advise you guy's an gal's might have. This is kinda also for my dad as well. he is going threw a bad depression fase, an I know thking him up for a day of fishing would help a lot ! Anyway THANKS for any Ideas you can throw my way !
onelegedfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Places to go on the GRAND MESA That are wheele chair accesable ?

I don't know my way around up there, but I wish you good luck in finding something that fits the bill.
sswan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to TroutFishingBear

First of all, I am sorry about what happened...I icefished island lake one time and it was very slushy and my feet were numb at the end of the day as well...I guess it could happen to anyone. As far as good lakes to fish that are wheelchair accessable, weir and johnson has some spots that would be easily fished by wheelchair, and perhaps bonham reservoir as well...that right there has got you access to lakes with rainbows and brookies, and then cutthroats and browns, respectively. Again, my condolences to you and I truly admire you for wanting to continue your passion of fishing.

[quote author=ptaft link=topic=42422.msg488400#msg488400 date=1236743995]
I say if it catches fish throw it!
[/quote]
TroutFishingBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do a lot of elk hunting up there and I would say that the 2 best ones I have fished personally that have the access would be Vela and Park Reservoirs. Definitely sat there and caught a bunch of trout from 1 spot. I hope that helps and best of luck!
eyeeyecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in