Using a Generator to Power Up an Electric Trolling Motor - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to fisher32
Default Using a Generator to Power Up an Electric Trolling Motor

Has anyone ever done this? I run 2 large batteries to operate a 24v 80lb Terova, I get about 5-6 hrs of use when trolling near top power. Every year it seems like I have to purchase new batteries just to keep within the 5-6 hr trolling time. I would like to get another set a batteries but I don't have the room for them. Staying quiet below the water is really important to me. The other day I tried giving my generator a test run. Generator powered the charger... Which then charged the batteries and ran the trolling motor. I ran the motor at full speed for about 4 hrs. It ran great, but I ran out of gas. I'm thinking I can get near a day of charge with a full tank of gas in the generator. When I was done testing this, I measured my batteries and they did not gain nor lose much power at all. Started at 12.6v and after 4 hrs max speed, I ended up with 12.3v on both batteries. Concept seems to work well, have any of you guys ever tried this? I'm thinking this could be cheaper than purchasing a kicker with the Garmin TR-1. As long as you have a good onboard charger with a quiet generator, you could be fine? What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

Only down falls I can see are having to deal with the noise and smell of exhaust fumes. Benefits are long running hours and electric beneath water on a budget.
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Using a Generator to Power Up an Electric Trolling Motor

Are you wanting to run your generator on the boat to charge the batteries while you are using the electric motor?
EricCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCO
Are you wanting to run your generator on the boat to charge the batteries while you are using the electric motor?
Yes, that was the plan. Unless there are possible catastrophic reason to not go this route.

Btw, I'm all ears everyone. Thanks
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

i think i would run the trolling motor by itself for about 3 hours then about 1 hour with the generator that should give you 7-8 hours

i would bet that minkota would say no way, you are supposed to disconect the trolling motor while chargeing
Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Not too sure of the benefit...If you're running the trolling motor at full speed, you're probably pulling 40 to 50 amps...If you're using the generator to charge the batteries...you're probably charging at a maximum of ten amps.. So best case you run a generator all day and maybe increase running time by an hour?
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

I run a solar panel charger while on the water, can easily run 6-8 hours without depleting the batteries much, but I am not running the trolling motor at full speed
flyfishgeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to earplug Send a message via Yahoo to earplug

Your playing with 110 Volt AC on the water.
Seems like more trouble then its worth.
I don't understand how you can have room for a generator but not room for another battery?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

doesn't your boat become a huge soundboard to project the noise and vibration of a gas generator into the water?
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat
Not too sure of the benefit...If you're running the trolling motor at full speed, you're probably pulling 40 to 50 amps...If you're using the generator to charge the batteries...you're probably charging at a maximum of ten amps.. So best case you run a generator all day and maybe increase running time by an hour?
Yes, according to some it draws approximately 50A/hr at max power. I guess I can measure the impedance and caculate the current draw. Maybe I'll do that tonight and figure out my running time. I'll get the actual numbers by the end of the week and share them with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIMBAITGEEK
I run a solar panel charger while on the water, can easily run 6-8 hours without depleting the batteries much, but I am not running the trolling motor at full speed
That's a good idea! I'll look into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earplug
Your playing with 110 Volt AC on the water.
Seems like more trouble then its worth.
I don't understand how you can have room for a generator but not room for another battery?
DC is more dangerous than AC… I could make permanent room for the batteries but then I would have to build and carpet an enclosure. I don’t have much wood working skills lol. I think using a generator would be quick and simple, also temporary placement, and I wouldn’t have to buy new batteries every so often. Plus I could use the generator for other things such as a camper etc… It sounds good I guess…, but we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike
doesn't your boat become a huge soundboard to project the noise and vibration of a gas generator into the water?
I not too sure, I’ll find out at BM this weekend. Will let you know.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye seeker
i think i would run the trolling motor by itself for about 3 hours then about 1 hour with the generator that should give you 7-8 hours

i would bet that minkota would say no way, you are supposed to disconect the trolling motor while chargeing
lol they would probably say that.

I don't think you would be safe running the motor straight to the charger because of the current draw but with batteries inline as a load, it works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in