WARNING!!! Operation Dry Water - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default WARNING!!! Operation Dry Water

Be extra careful this weekend.

A couple years ago I was at Chatfield on a holiday and the rangers on jet skies and boats were staged up right at the No Wake where the Creek comes in pulling over every 3rd boat or so. I got pulled over 4 times that day and then when we were anchored in the No Wake a ranger drove by and informed us that there had to be a sober driver on the boat and wanted to know who that person was. We were all sober but did have some beers.

Long story short they might be very intrusive so be careful.

If they have any suspicion they will make you go to shore and blow.

http://dnr.state.co.us/newsapp/press.asp?pressid=7783

Colorado Marine Law Enforcement Officers Gear Up For 2012 Operation Dry Water
***Colorado State Parks Press Release***

DENVER – Recreational boating fatalities last year jumped to their highest levels since 1998 and boating under the influence (BUI) was the leading contributing factor, according to the U.S. Coast Guard’s report, 2011 Recreational Boating Statistics. The report comes just weeks before Colorado marine law enforcement officers participate in the Operation Dry Water 2012, an annual nationwide campaign focused on enforcement of BUI laws and educating all boaters to the risks of operating a boat under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. Officers will be out in force Friday, June 22 through Sunday, June 24 looking for boaters whose blood alcohol content exceeds the state limit of .08. Operation Dry Water will include increased and focused patrols, checkpoints, as well as boater education. Impaired boaters can expect penalties to be severe. In Colorado, the consequences for BUI include fines, jail time, court-ordered volunteer service, impoundment of the boat, mandatory boating safety education and even loss of boating privileges.
“We intend to arrest intoxicated boaters and to reach out to as many people as possible about the hazards of boating under the influence,” says Kris Wahlers, Colorado’s spokesman for the event.
BUI continues to be a major problem in the United States. Boat operators or even passengers with a blood alcohol concentration above the legal limit run a significantly increased risk of being involved in a fatal boating accident. Alcohol was a contributing factor in just 6 percent of boating accidents overall, but figured in 16 percent of boating fatalities in the United States last year. When impaired by alcohol, boating accidents are more probable and more deadly for both passengers and boat operators, many of whom capsize their vessel or simply fall overboard.
Operation Dry Water, a multi-agency education and enforcement initiative launched by the National Association of Safe Boating Law Administrators in 2009 in partnership with the U.S. Coast Guard, puts thousands of local, state and federal marine law enforcement officers on the water nationwide prior to the Fourth of July holiday to give BUI enforcement high visibility during the peak boating season.
"There will be arrests this weekend, and some boaters will face the consequences of boating under the influence," says Wahlers. "Boating is a safe and enjoyable pastime when people stay alert and follow the rules. We want boaters to understand the added risks associated with BUI and to avoid drinking and boating.”
Operation Dry Water 2012 is a joint program of Colorado Parks and Wildlife, the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators, and the U.S. Coast Guard. For more information, visit www.operationdrywater.org.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife was created by the merger of Colorado State Parks and the Colorado Division of Wildlife, two nationally recognized leaders in conservation, outdoor recreation and wildlife management. Colorado Parks and Wildlife manages 42 state parks, all of Colorado's wildlife, more than 300 state wildlife areas and a host of recreational programs. To learn more about Colorado's state parks, please see: http://parks.state.co.us. To learn more about Colorado's wildlife programs, please see: http://wildlife.state.co.us.
Posted 2 days ago by Marc
Labels: outdoors boating colorado state parks marine Colorado
nutmg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: WARNING!!! Operation Dry Water

For years now I've seen the rangers at Pueblo do the same thing at Pueblo-right inside the no wake bouy line at Peck Creek. Personally, I like to see this-way too many idiots out on that lake.

Advice. Wise men don't need it, fools won't heed it.
kirbydog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Be careful? How about not boating and drinking. How about they obey the laws on the water.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thats happened to me a few time out at cherry creek when we were jetskiing. I was sober as well but I did see some people getting hooked for BUI.
People dont realize that its just as dangerous as DUI
mattyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbydog
For years now I've seen the rangers at Pueblo do the same thing at Pueblo-right inside the no wake bouy line at Peck Creek. Personally, I like to see this-way too many idiots out on that lake.
I should be able to boat without having sirens behind me several times a day when I've done nothing wrong.

I am aware of the law and don't need any reminders.

By the way did you notice that alcohol was only a factor in 6% of boating accidents last year. The math proves its the other 94% of the people you really need to worry about.

In no way am I ever close to the .08%.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by setthehook
Be careful? How about not boating and drinking. How about they obey the laws on the water.
Its not against the law to boat and drink. The warning was just to let people know that you may be harassed by Rangers so keep it in mind.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsturbater
Thats happened to me a few time out at cherry creek when we were jetskiing. I was sober as well but I did see some people getting hooked for BUI.
People dont realize that its just as dangerous as DUI

https://www.google.com/search?q=colo...x=&startPage=1

Here is the boating safety report from last year. They contacted over 2000 boaters and only got 2 BUI's. BUI is not huge problem in Colorado.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

[

Here is the boating safety report from last year. They contacted over 2000 boaters and only got 2 BUI's. BUI is not huge problem in Colorado.

it looks like you don't boat pueblo on the weekends in the summer

[/quote]
Old 06-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye seeker
[

it looks like you don't boat pueblo on the weekends in the summer

Check out the report its very interesting. The overall statistics for the state show there were only 16 BUI's and over 90,000 registered boats. the majority of the issues are with un-experienced operators.
[/quote]
Old 06-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Weed OK?
jimt72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in