Lowrance Structure Scan Questions - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lowrance Structure Scan Questions

I am looking to gain mapping capabilities from my fish finder. I have very little knowledge as to what all is available, but I am looking specifically at the Dr. Depth program or possibly the new structure scan/mapping option from Lowrance.

I feel comfortable with what I know about Dr. Depth, but I don't know enough about the Lowrance structure scan. I'm looking for some feedback on the structure scan as a result.

It looks like the Lowrance structure scan can be overlaid on maps from Insight or Navionics. Is this true? Can you save these maps permanently? Are you able to adjust accordingly for different water elevations? Can you view on a computer? User friendly? Any other information that would help me make a purchase decision would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Lowrance Structure Scan Questions

ive got a hds7 withouth structure scan. but i saw you could scan and have it overlay your lake map and zoom in out to view later saved. i would have got it but the finder was a penny or two already.
tl1000r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your response, sir.

To be more specific - I am looking at the Gen2, HDS-8 with StructureScan. With this, I would be able to use the Lowrance StructureMap feature. This is what I would like feedback on. I know this is new, but someone has to have some hands-on experience.
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

I bought the Gen 2 to do exactly what you are talking about, so far a disapointment. It does give a better idea of structure below the boat but the mapping capabilities are not what I expected...then again I might be doing it wrong. I'll see if I can take a pic of a map I tried to make and let you decide. My issue is that the overlap sections are too dark and the map is pretty difficult to read.

I do like the ability to see structure (rocks/trees/etc) and GPS them. I have GPS'ed where the edge of the rocks meet the mud, GPS'ed clumps of rocks/trees.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by setthehook

I do like the ability to see structure (rocks/trees/etc) and GPS them. I have GPS'ed where the edge of the rocks meet the mud, GPS'ed clumps of rocks/trees.
that seems very worth while
ibgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

I prefer the old days when we found structure by snagging it!
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

When I asked a friend where he found the fish they caught that day, he replied. "Right where the Dr. said they would be."

'Nuff said.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have a hard enough time distinguishing what I see DIRECTLY below the boat..... You want Me to look sideways, too?
Sructure scan sounds cool, I don't think I'd ever use it.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies so far! I'm looking for contours under water much more than the gps location on a tree and such. I have researched the Lowrance option more and it appears that the detail of the map is dictated by Navionics or Insight etc. I don't want those maps to be my contour map - they don't show what I want to see on the waters I fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInDenver
When I asked a friend where he found the fish they caught that day, he replied. "Right where the Dr. said they would be."

'Nuff said.
I think I'll go ahead and make a doctor appointment. After a closer look, it appears that Dr. Depth is the only real option for what I want to do.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Agree. If you are looking for actual depth lines (not what Nav thinks) then Dr Depth is the best I know of. If you want a view of what is below the boat (tree to the right, rock to the left and be able to GPS them) then Structure Map is the best. Keep in mind and from my time with the Gen 2 stuff, Structure Map lays a picture of rock/trees (structure) on top of the Nav map...it does not redraw or create the gradient map.

A point of clarification, Structure Scan is different than Structure Map. Scan is this, http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Mar...n-HD/Features/ (first 7 screen pics).

Map takes the Scan view and lays it on top of the map that is on your Lowrance. (next two pics)
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in