Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   August Fishing (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62728)

jamesnb 06-26-2012 11:52 PM

August Fishing

My wife and I are going to be spending a week in Steamboat Springs in mid-August and I'd like to do some trout fishing. I know they've closed the Yampa River through town due to water temperature and flow rate.
Is there any good trout fishing in August? Does one have to go out in a boat in the middle of the lake? If so, I was thinking about taking an inflatable raft and drifting around a small lake like Lake Teal.
Is the surface temperature of the lakes above say 10K feet above 68 degrees in August? I was thinking if I got up into the high country I could still do some wade fishing.
I found some information on Aqua Fria Lake in the Zirkel Mountain Wilderness Area. It's fairly deep for a small lake (59 feet) and is said to have brook trout and lake trout. Does anybody know this lake?
I'm not looking for trophies; I'm just looking to have some fun and keep a fresh trout for dinner. I'm not particularly interested in pike or bass.
Thanks, any help is appreciated.

slayerfish 06-27-2012 07:38 AM

Re: August Fishing

Aint no fish in them thar lakes- ;)

jamesnb 06-27-2012 01:25 PM

If I could find a small lake similar to those that did have fish in it, what depth and on what bait might the trout be feeding in August? Thanks

xxxxxThat Guy 06-27-2012 01:29 PM

Honestly, August is right in the middle of the "summer doldrums" of fishing. It's hot, many lakes are overgrown with weeds/moss, etc.

You might try Stagecoach...a pink tasmanian devil. No guarantees you won't connect with pike.

tt boy 06-27-2012 03:33 PM

In that area (Zirkels) there are a ton of high mountain lakes that hold cutthroat and brookies as well as a few other types of trout. I have never fished aqua fria but I know the area it's in and you should see fish. As far as catching large fish like lakers, that might be tough from shore that time of year. If I were you I'd bring a fly rod and fish for cruising cutties.

jimt72 06-27-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TT Boy
In that area (Zirkels) there are a ton of high mountain lakes that hold cutthroat and brookies as well as a few other types of trout. I have never fished aqua fria but I know the area it's in and you should see fish. As far as catching large fish like lakers, that might be tough from shore that time of year. If I were you I'd bring a fly rod and fish for cruising cutties.

^^ get high.

Zman 06-27-2012 09:28 PM

Find Tim Kelley's Colorado fishing guide on ebay or amazon. It does watershed by watershed and wilderness areas. It is old out of print but gives a pretty good idea of size of lake how to get there and what kind of fish are there...

jamesnb 06-27-2012 10:43 PM

Thanks for the input. I know August is probably the worst choice for trout fishing but it was the only chance we had to go. I'm a teacher and I'll make it home just in time to start school. Fishing wasn't the main goal of the trip, just a bonus (hopefully).
I'm really just looking for some adventure and some dinner (and to introduce my wife to the Northwest). I'd like to shy away from catch and release because, from what I've read, it's a lot of stress on the fish during August, with the lack of oxygen and all. I don't want to release a beautiful fish just to see her go belly up a few minutes latter. And I'm not looking for something to hang on the wall this trip.
Honestly, I'd be happy with some nice scenery and harvesting some brookies. I hear they are the best eating and it will help out the cut throats.
I read the regulations but I'm still confused, in the High Zirkels Lakes, is it legal to keep greenbacks under 18"?
Thanks again.

slayerfish 06-28-2012 10:14 AM

Pick a lake at or above tree line. No bugs . Then use a big ugly dry fly. Money in August.

fistfullafish 06-28-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesnb
I'd like to shy away from catch and release

Probably not the best way to get info on this board, lol :-\