Colorado Fishing Forum

Colorado Fishing Forum (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php)
-   Colorado Fishing Lounge (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bulk line buying and Line life? (https://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62976)

earplug 07-15-2012 08:36 PM

Bulk line buying and Line life?

I'm thinking about buying a BIG spool of 10# Berkley Sensation. I'm wondering about it getting old and stiff like plain mono.
I'd store it in the basement with my cheap wine.
Anyone have any experience with buying co-polymer line and it lasting several years or does is get stiff and brittle like plain mono.
Any opinion on fluorocarbon line lasting several years?

Hogmaster 07-16-2012 12:24 AM

Re: Bulk line buying and Line life?

Put them in a cooler or refrig

rivrunnr1 07-16-2012 12:06 PM

I always wondered about that too...

fistfullafish 07-16-2012 12:17 PM

IMO fresh line is worth its weight in gold. Buy only what you'll use. I really dont think its worth the 10-15% savings you get on a service spool.

longdraw 07-16-2012 02:39 PM

I buy bulk spools of InvisX but they don't last me long enough to worry about deterioration. I've never bought any bulk mono or coPol. If you use alot it's worth the savings but if it's just gonna sit for a few years I don't see the point. You could always split a couple bulk spools with a buddy and use it faster...

tepponogu 07-16-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longdraw
I buy bulk spools of InvisX but they don't last me long enough to worry about deterioration. I've never bought any bulk mono or coPol. If you use alot it's worth the savings but if it's just gonna sit for a few years I don't see the point. You could always split a couple bulk spools with a buddy and use it faster...

Splitting spools is a good idea.

TheUkrainian 07-16-2012 05:32 PM

Do the manufacturers make any claims about shelf life:?...many just say replace it annually.

jignpig 07-17-2012 09:26 AM

I wouldn't sweat buying a bulk spool of line. Keep it cool, dry and out of the light and it will last you a long time. I have only ever had one spool go bad and it was because I left it in the garage over the a couple summers in extreme heat... The only way to go in my opinion.

kirbydog 07-17-2012 04:53 PM

Personally, I don't think the savings are worth it. Bought a big spool of YoZuri Hybrid 6 lb a couple of years ago and I think its degraded a bit. I keep it cool and out of the sun but I think its lost some as far as test lb's. Seems more brittle and prone to break.

Never thought of keeping it in the fridge.

Hogmaster 07-18-2012 10:40 AM

Another thing I do is buy the cheap Cajan red line to back all my reels.