Whats the craziest one day fishing trip you have ever embarked upon? - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Whats the craziest one day fishing trip you have ever embarked upon?

Whether it be distance or difficulty, reading about Slayer this week in the muddy roads of the high country, Don in Denver and the Gorge in a day, and Tony and Oscars one day adventure to the other side of the world and back...what is yours and if you dont want to name the place give distance and what made it trying...I have to think about mine...I am thinking of one that didnt even involve a vehicle in my much younger stupider days...
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Whats the craziest one day fishing trip you have ever embarked upon?

Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Re: Whats the craziest one day fishing trip you have ever embarked upon?

Picked up my tourney partner at 7am in north Denver, drove to Millie Lacs only stopping for gas/food. Pulled into the ramp parking lot at midnight. Reclined the seat in the truck and slept (kind of) until 4am. Got a cup of coffee, a donut, launched the boat into 4 footers and rain. Fished til about 1pm when the waves/rain got really bad. Called it a day.
setthehook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Too many to mention...but we've done Big Mac in a day...Navajo...and also Sanchez on day trips...tons of hikes also...

Here's a couple ...

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...2279#msg392279

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...?topic=35434.0

And here's a trip from last year...ran into Andrew on this trip...and was checked by the same warden at all three lakes.. but it extended into two days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobiecat
Sounds like some fun time spent on the water...

I too got out this weekend. Three lakes...and 354 miles in 38 hours.

I left the house at 3am on Saturday morning and was fishing by 6. After killing the crappie at the first lake, I headed on to the second lake at about 3:30 PM and had my limit of saugeyes out of my toon by 7:30 PM. And then between 7:30PM and dark, I caught 15 or so white bass before heading on in to shore...to set up for night fishing...

Had my poles in the water by 9 PM and four cats in the five pound range landed by 2:00AM...That's when I packed up and headed for lake three, arriving at 3:30Am. Fell asleep in the truck until 6AM and had my toon on the water at 6:30..Fished until 2PM and caught 10 to 12 wipers between 5 and 6 pounds before deciding to call it quits and heading on home.

It was a fun two day solo trip...but I'm getting way too old for this...
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've done a lot of stupid one-dayers.

Hiked by myself to Slate lake in the Gore range. 11 miles 1-way. Fished all around the lake then walked back. Ran outta water, was getting dark, nothing looked familiar. Started driving at 3am got back at Midnight.

Steamboat Lake several times.

Ice-fishing Rifle Gap several times.

Heart Lake near Yampa several times, 3 hr drive and 7mile hike each way.

I'll think of more-
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Denver to Jmart, I know its not that crazy, but when its 100 degrees there and snowing back in Denver that makes it kinda Crazy. 70 degree tepmperature swing.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

headed to a high lake in the jeep, been there many times, got past the 2wd section and into the rough stuff. after about 2 miles a sharp rock cut the side wall of the right rear. thats ok i have two spares. got to the lake and we fished for 2 hours and not a bite. then we were going to go higher and see if we could find some grouse, but when we got to the jeep the right front was flat. thats ok we have another spare, so on it went. then we said lets head down and leave the birds for another day. so down we go, it's about 8 miles out and you guessed it another flat when we still have 2 miles to go and about 1/2 mile to the 2wd part of the road. well there was several rigs parked at the small lake there when we went up so we walked down and found a guy that had a jeep and asked if he had an extra spare that we could use. he said no but he would take us into town about 15 miles away and bring us back to get us out of there and on our way. we were lucky to find a guy that had a used tire and he would mount it on our rim for $30. the guy that took us to town wouldn't take anything for his time.

even when you have good equipment when Murphy is with you things happen. three flats in one trip all with cut sidewalls and the first two were tires with only 4 thousand miles on them
Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

We drove for Fort Collins to Navajo Res in the winter to fish for 4 hours and headed right back home. 18 hours of driving, 4 hours of fishing...stupid plan, but we whacked 'em. CL
Old 07-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Not totally crazy if it went well, but one is a day trip to Trappers, only had one rod which had been damaged the week before unknown to me, first fish only 14" or so breaks it. Sat in disbelif for 5 min or so, paddled back to shore and went home. So pissed at myself I didn't even go look for a new rod in town, just drove home. 8 hrs driving for 15 min of fishing. Needless to say I carry 2-3 rods ever since.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

1-day trip to Thunderbolt lake. 18-20 miles,8800 vertical, straight up a 1500 ft coul to above Upper Coney with absolutely NO hint of a trail thru unimaginable jackass bushes and Krumholz. Oh yeah got about 1.5 hours of fishing in. One hour was at a dead lake.
Also began and ended the day with a 5 mile dirt bike ride up a horrible boulder strewn road.
I hurt for 3 days after that.
slayerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in